Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » "Regeneration" according to me. With spoilers! Obviously. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Regeneration" according to me. With spoilers! Obviously.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My peeve with the episode (continuity issues aside) lies in the liberties it takes to rewrite Q Who - which was about Picard's arrogance, his firm conviction that humanity could handle whatever the universe might throw their way. But Regeneration ignores what Q was doing and why, and so alters the message Q Who presented, tones it down, lessens the impact. You know?
I thought that Dork Frontier had already done all that.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, technically, one could argue that "The Neutral Zone" did that, though no one was particularly concerned about it at the time. Unfortunately, the Borg chronology has been all but incomprehensible since their first appearence, leaving the door open for just about any story.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wondered if some major conflict on the other side of the Romulan Empire had kept them from any dealings with the Federation for all that time.
I wonder how many ships and colonies were taken by a Borg scout before the Neutral Zone.
Did the Romulans destroy a Sphere or other Borg ship after the NZ episode?
If not, the cube in BOBW may have been the one that was lurking around for a couple of years already.
I doubt the Romulans would have told the Enterprise the true extent of their losses.
Possibly they had fought off a series of lesser scout ships over many years and their colonies getting scooped up was something new to them.

Just an idle thought.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, that's what I'm talking about. Such a story is perfectly possible, even though the idea leaves me very cold.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Freeze, Sol system!!!

Giant plot holes are all that allow us fans to explain away the glaring inconsistantcies between each series. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except that the cube would have been hanging around for more than a "couple of years", if you are implying that this is what person-who-looked-like-Dukat meant when he said "other matters have forced our attention to not be here because we weren't so there but we are now ooooooh scary". The Romulans had been in isolation for about 50-60 years. Can you really see a cube hanging around for that long without once (okay, more than once) wandering over to the Federation or the Klingon Empire? And do you really think there'd be a Romulan Empire left after those 60 years?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a brief aside, open for debate...

My theory:
Nomad in TOS (I forget which episode): Assimilated by Borg. The Borg's original philosophy, instead of assimilating people and adding distinctivness to their own, and acheiving perfection, they might have just wanted to destroy inferior life-forms. Just assimilate technology. Then they "evolved" the principles of assimilation. (If we're assuming the Borg of "Regeneration" are left-overs from ST:FC, this doesn't violate continuity, since they were saying Archer and CO were going to be assimilated.)

V'ger in ST:TMP: Assimilated by Borg. A little later on, the Borg developed the idea of combining man and machine, and there we have V'ger's directives.

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

That kind of let's-tie-everything-under-the-sun-together-with-one-string theory really, really bothers me.
Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's your problem. Go suck a lemon.

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm right...Im not sure I can buy the theory that anytime an old Earth space probe gets enhanced the Borg are to blame. The Borg certainly aren't the only advanced species in the galaxy capible of altering space probes....I mean, just in TOS alone, look how many superior advanced races Kirk encountered...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Go suck a lemon.
THAT IS FUNNY BECAUSE SIMON IS A SOURPUSS IN THE MEAT WORLD AS WELL

So he is immune to lemons, I fear. They'd only make him stronger!

And then he'd do to you with philosophy what Patrick Swayze did to unruly bar patrons with 'Redneck Ninja Karate�' in the 1989 American Classic, Road House.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Last night I even had lemon chicken.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sky have gotten around to seeing the episode, and I just had two thoughts to add:

I don't mind the ending at all, and I still think it works with regards to "Q Who".

1/ Borg send out distress call in 2152.

2/ Borg in 24 century receive it. Cube heads towards Earth.

3/ Several years later, Picard forgets the difference between being confident, and being a smart-arsed smug git. He says "We can handle anything". Q says "oh, really?", and sends Picard off to meet the Borg ship that is slowly making it's way to Earth.

After all, there's no reason to assume that even after getting the message, the Borg would scream "Oh my God! Earth! That's SOOOOO cool! Let's get there as quickly as possible". They might have sent a ship in that general direction, and that ship was assimilating small civilisations on the way.

Of course, that ignores "The Neutral Zone", but "Q Who" sort of did that anyway.

And if it really bothers you, then just pretend that this episode never happened in the pre-First Contact timeline, and it's all a happy conincidence. "Hey, look! We've reveived a message from the past telling us to invade Earth. Convienient that we're already doing that. Woo!"

Point two: I thought the reason behind the partial assimilation of the alien dudes was because Phlox had used Something Magical to slow down the nanoprobes.

Oh, and finally: I'm still not getting how the transport gained mass. It didn't stop. Where did it come from? Eh? Eh?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and finally: I'm still not getting how the transport gained mass. It didn't stop. Where did it come from? Eh? Eh?

When Enterprise caught up wih the ship, it was cutting chunks out of the Tarkalian vessel.
Which was actually a pretty neat tie-in to "Q Who", I don't think we ever saw the borg using cutting beam like that since then.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps