Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » [$$$poiler warning$$$] T'Pol in a recent episode... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: [$$$poiler warning$$$] T'Pol in a recent episode...
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Sol, where is that from?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For one thing, Mintakans aren't Vulcans. They were called "Vulcanoid", which presumably meant they had pointy ears and green blood.

And hasn't it been stated on screen that the pon farr is a direct result of emotion-repression?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That I don't know. I was just reacting to Timo's statement.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

That I don't know. I was just reacting to Timo's statement.

Oh, sorry, guess I overlooked that one....

quote:
For one thing, Mintakans aren't Vulcans. They were called "Vulcanoid", which presumably meant they had pointy ears and green blood.

And hasn't it been stated on screen that the pon farr is a direct result of emotion-repression?

Actually the Mintakans were termed as "proto-Vulcan", not that that matters, I'm sure.

And no, it hasnt been stated that it is directly a result of emotion-repression. Just simply that is was some biologically inherent cycle driven by the motivation to mate, but never specifically why....unless the fact that it is just instinct alone that is its specific result.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know...for some reason I seem to feel it's been very clearly established that the pon farr is the "price" Vulcans pay for keeping such a tight leah on their impulses---every seven years they lose control totally. However, the vast majority of episodes dealing with the cycle have cited physiological rather than psychological issues. So, again...I don't know...

As for the male/female issue...it seems to me that the whole thing operates with a biochemical component, a pheremone or some-such, that is produced by the male when he enters the cycle and then transfered to a female, triggering a response by her system. That's what the issue was in "Blood Fever" (VGR), even though it was a Klingon/Human female that received the transfer rather than a Vulcan. This would also explain how a microorganism could cause T'Pol to go into pon farr. And it would be a solution to the problem of how a species whose mating cycles occur at such intervals could still thrive.

Basically, the females don't enter it by themselves, they need it to be triggered by a "musting" male. (But it might also be triggered by an alien organism such as in "Bounty" [ENT].) I'm not sure, but there may be animal species on our own planet that operate this way...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps