Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Orville, season 2 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Orville, season 2
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read this morning that The Orville was renewed for a 3rd season. Which is good, because it's about the only thing I watch on Fox nowadays.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m very confused. Since when does Fox actually renew quality sci-fi shows?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disney?

I don't know. Although Dollhouse and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles had 2 seasons. Almost Human could have used a second season.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/emmy-contender-how-the-orvilles-vfx-team-fought-a-space-battle-and-seth-macfarlane-broke-a

I missed this story when it came out last month. It basically reads like “how a space battle would be envisioned if the Flare guys were in charge.” [Big Grin]

No wonder it looked so good!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Hobbes
Member # 138

A lot of people seem pissed that the series moved to Hulu. I ditched Comcast cable years ago and just have had Netflix and Hulu which is way cheaper than cable.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I have very mixed feelings about the move, myself. The story and production reasons make sense. I haven’t had cable TV for 10 years, I’ve gotten most of my shows through iTunes. (Cheaper to buy just the shows I watch outright.) But now every network has delusions of grandeur and wants to build their own streaming empire, and each streaming service has basically one show that I want to watch, and little more.

CBS has Star Trek. But aside from Discovery (and soon Picard), I don’t watch anything else on All Access ($10/mo). I don’t even need it for past Trek because I own it on disc and ripped to my computer for streaming in my home.

Hulu ($12/mo) will have The Orville. I’ve never had Hulu, and that’s the only show I’m really interested in that it carries.

Amazon Prime ($9/mo) has The Expanse now. I don’t have Prime because I don’t trust Amazon to sell me reliable stuff and I don’t like the idea of being tied to a single retailer for buying everything. And I don’t buy that much stuff anyway.

Disney+ ($7/mo) seems the best of the new propositions because of its absolutely massive back catalog. And The Mandalorian looks good.

Apple TV+ ($5/mo) has my interest, I’ve enjoyed the first few episodes of See and will start For All Mankind tonight. I’d almost certainly have checked it out anyway, but also got a free year with my new iPhone.

I still have Netflix ($13/mo) out of inertia, but I don’t watch much of their original content, I originally got it for watching old shows. Many of the old shows are being taken off due to licensing. I’ll probably cancel Netflix in the next few months.

I never signed up for HBO ($15/mo), their shows never really drew my interest. Especially not GOT, the setting looked interesting but characters looked way too horrible. I’m curious about the Dune/Bene Gesserit series in development, but that won’t be enough to get me to subscribe.

Streaming subscription fatigue is a real thing. It would be $71/ month to get all those services simultaneously. (I know, some have yearly or with-ad options. Just keeping it simple for discussion.) Starting and stopping subscriptions is an option, but the more networks, the harder it is to manage.

To bring it back to The Orville, I do believe that streaming is a great thing for production and storytelling. The reasons Seth MacFarlane gave sound great, and I look forward to seeing how season 3 develops (somehow, sometime), But I think that overall TV distribution will need to streamline a lot (or lower their prices) before I subscribe to that many channels.

--------------------

Hobbes
Member # 138

That's why I go with what I consider the original 2, Netflix and Hulu.

Although I get Hulu with Sprint, I'd still pay for it even if I didn't. I like that Hulu gets TV shows the day after they air and have a good selection of older shows as well. Unfortunately they lost a lot of their older shows from the 80s and early 90s like Quantum Leap or MacGyver. Aside from TV they have a decent movie selection with recent releases. Something I feel Netflix is lacking.

Disney+ is definitely worth the $7. I'm interested in all the MCU series they're creating.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps