Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Will every race have lower-tech? $$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Will every race have lower-tech? $$
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Star Trek's inception, there has been a tendency to have ships of opposing sides have roughly the same capabilities. In "Arena", the Gorn ship had warp drive, shields, and transporters. Do I need to mention the Enterprise's capabilities?
Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When they get full of eels?!

LOL

Lance
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible:
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

--------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://www.thetrekker.org

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That joke makes less sense than the decision to make "Police Academy: Mission to Moscow".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure he was making a joke. I think he was just repeating mine, so people would know what he was laughing at.

Unless you mean you didn't get my joke. In that case, I'll have to never speak to you again.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. It's because your post is backa whole page, and my memory barely stretches to the beginning of this reply.

I thought it went:

Question: "Do I need to mention the Enterprise's capabilities?"

Answer: "When they get full of eels?! LOL"

That was the cause of my confusion and Police Academy Joke.

My God, I'm so bored, I'm watching Baywatch. By myself. With no-one to make witty remarks to. KILL ME NOW!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re TWOK Reliant Attack and shields:

In the film it goes like this...

KIRK
This is damned perculiar. Yellow Alert.

SAAVIK
Energize defense fields.

UHURA
Captain. I'm getting a voice message. They say their chambers coil is overloading their comm system.

KIRK
Spock?

SPOCK
Scanning.
Their coil emissions are normal.

JOACHIM
They still haven't raised their shields.

KHAN
Raise ours.

SPOCK
Their shields are going up.

KHAN
Lock phasers on target.

JOACHIM
Locking phasers.

SPOCK
They're locking phasers.

KIRK
Raise shields!

KHAN
Fire!

***KABOOM!***

Interestingly, Kirk's slowness on the shields here might be partly an editorial paux fax. I was thumbing through a copy of the revised final draft screenplay for the film, and it reads like this...

KIRK
This is damned perculiar. Yellow, alert.

SAAVIK
Energize defense fields.

UHURA
I'm getting a voice message... wait... short range band. They say their Chambers coil is shorting their COMM system.

KIRK
Spock?

SPOCK
Scanning...

JOACHIM
They still haven't raised their shields.

KHAN
Careful: Not all at once. The engine room. Lock on target and prepare to fire.

JOACHIM
Locking phasers on target.

SPOCK
Their coil emissions are normal...
Wait: their shields are going up.
They're locking phasers--!

KIRK
Raise shields! Energize phasers, stand by to--

***KABOOM***

So in the script spock reports the shields and phasers together and Kirk instantly responds. They way it's cut in the film it's like Kirk hear about the shields and does nothing until the phasers are locked. What a difference an edit makes.

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: mrneutron ]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still, I like the aired version better. Kirk is in space for the first time after piloting a desk or at most some sort of a simulator for ghu knows how long. He's badly out of practice. What he's looking for in space is nostalgy and adventure - he's not trying to re-enact his spotless cadet years, but his reckless later days. Of course he will screw up - the question is, when and how badly. And there's a lot of drama in the fact that it's NOW and VERY badly.

As for the general topic of this thread... I *can* buy the idea that the technology encountered by Archer will be the same used by Archer, while that encountered by Kirk is that used by Kirk. This just requires the assumption that something swept the local space clear of advanced races a while ago, leaving the field empty for the humans and others to play. Then there would be a situation where one race leads, and others struggle to catch up, right until the players moved out of local space and ran into an area of space that was *not* swept clean.

What would do the sweeping? War, probably - a former superpower would subjugate the area of space and homogenize it under its rule, so when the superpower would fall, the whole bunch of sectors would fall with it and descend to anarchy or worse. The winner of the war might perish as well, or then be weakened so that it would only take possession of the core worlds of the loser, while leaving his fringe areas (including Earth/Qo'noS/Romulus) in ruins and unclaimed.

Another possibility would be a Borg raid, after which the planets would be left to fallow for a few hundred millennia and develop technology to be reaped in the next raid.

So Archer would face only ships that would match his, *roughly*. The differences would soon be removed by a round of escalation with the most advanced enemy. By Kirk's time, no real differences would remain - but the newer, faster ships would take Kirk to regions of space where more advanced enemies dwell. However, this time the speed of expansion would control the rate at which new enemies would crop up, so if there ever was an excessively powerful opponent, Starfleet could simply slow down or retreat, and gradually adjust to the required level of technology.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps