Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » "Oh, boy!" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Oh, boy!"
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First Contact, as Liam pointed out above, is a good movie that did well in the theaters. It was a successful blending of stuff the fans of Star Trek wanted with the stuff that could draw a general audience. I don't particularly feel that the Borg has been ruined, but if you do that's your opinion.

However, if there is a problem, the problem would have to have its origins in TNG's "Descent." That was a not a good two-parter at all and it showed the Borg to be emotionally overcharged maniacs with individuality fighting a civil war. These themes later did reappear in the Borg-centered Voyager episodes. And TNG started it all.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, after BoBW, I don't think there was any feasable way of reshowing the Borg without changing them. They already changed significantly between Q Who and BoBW (as originally they only wanted tecnology. By BoBW they also wanted to assimilate everyone's "biological distinctiveness" as well).

I thought the Borg were treated well in First Contact. You can argue about the Borg Queen back and forth, but it was necessary to have a focal point. It's very hard to pull off having a "group" as the enemy, without having a leader. Dr Who managed it for about a decade with the Daleks, before they crumbles and added Davros.

In fact, the Borg having the ability to instantly assimilate in First Contact actually did a great job of making them MORE scary, which was no mean feet.

First Contact god good reviews, did well at the box office, and appeals to fans and non-fans alike. I'd say it's a good thing to quote if you're defending it's writer.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, it said "Defend his writing history and continuity". I was defending his history. Unless, by history, he meant "his ability to get future-historical facts right".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps