Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Another Gene Rule Broken...

Author Topic: Another Gene Rule Broken...
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the first treatment for his new sci-fi concept 'Star Trek', Gene wrote aa basic description of his new show. It's been a while since I read "Inside Star Trek", so I don't remember all of the concepts. But the one which always stuck in my mind (for more than 20 years) was:

"Space Travel Perfected".

I always hated that.

Finally, a show in which the characters are awed and overwhelmed by their adventures.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to remember the context of TOS. It was the 60's and the rocket scientists of the world were trying to figure out how to survive in space for longer and longer and actually go and land on the friggin' moon. People wanted to see the logical continuation of what it would be like in several hundred years when 'everybody' would get to go.

These days however, space travel is perfected with twenty years of STS and whatnot. Today we're more inclined to try and recapture the pioneering adventure of the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo days and the feeling of 'being the first'.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the concept of the "new technology" and the thrill of not quite being sure what's going to happen. That's going to add some dramatic moments to battle scenes or instances where the limits of the ship are put to the test. Of course, we'll be dependent on the writers to be able to write with the dramatic feel and the directors to coach the drama out of the actors.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps