Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Yamato -- registry v. dialogue?

Author Topic: Yamato -- registry v. dialogue?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE USS YAMATO ...

Two different registries. One of them was spoken aloud by Will Riker, the other was apparently a screen capture of the model used in the second ep. the Yamato appeared in.

The screen-capture registry is taken as correct, despite the fact that Riker actually spoke (on screen) a different number.

How is the determination made that spoken dialogue can be overweighed by a screen-cap?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it has something to do with the background-story of these numbers. Okuda said that the number with the prefix -E was an error.

Or because the Yamato with the -E wasn't the real one.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a whole intricate story of how the -E ended up in the episode. Basically, they realised the mistake, but it had already been filmed or something. I think the story is in the encyclopedia or the chronology.

The -E one is wrong if, for no other reason, than because of the fact that everybody involved with it says that the other one is right. Also, the one with the -E doesn't fit with the rest of the numbering

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that letters on registries were reserved for the flagship. Although the new Defaint would be cooler if it was NX-74205-A err whatever the registry was.. forgot it.

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX GraphicsThe United Federation Uplink
------------------
Janeway: "Dimissed"
Neelix: [stands there dumbfounded] "b..but.."
Janeway: "That's Starfleet for get out"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it would be exactly the same level of coolness.

The story was that Okuda noticed the incorrect registry for the Yamoto, and wrote them a memo. However, he then got an updated script, and the reference had been removed, so he never sent it. He was unaware that an even later draft added it back in.

I'd go for the onscreen registry because:

1/ EVERYONE at Paramount says that's the correct one.
2/ With this one exception, for over a decade they've stuck to the "The Enterprise is the only ship to get a prefix" rule (ignoring the non-cannon New Frontiers).
3/ Riker's an idiot. Possibly he was reading off the Yamoto's saucer on the viewscreen. Weird spooky alien had just got it wrong, and Riker didn't want to say "erm, it that the Yamoto's registry?" incase people laughed at him, and no-one dared question him, incase he subjected them to more trombone playing.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...which was all the more disparaging, because he left the musical trombone in his quarters.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other question.

During that same ep, Worf volunteers to go on the Away Team to the YAMATO because, as he states, "he's familiar with the ship's layout."

Um. Hello? Doesn't he serve on a Galaxy-Class too? Shouldn't everyone on the ship be familiar with the YAMATO's layout?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are subtle differences between individual ships of the same class, both inside and out, so Worf's statement could be taken to mean that as opposed to the Enterprise, he's also familiar with the Yamato.

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ships did have at least one major structural difference - the Enterprise had 18 coils per nacelle, while the Okudagram used by LaForge to analyze the cause of death of the Yamato only showed 16 coils.

Perhaps the Yamato and the prototype Galaxy were built with these 16-coilers, but found unsatisfactory, and Leah Brahms (said to have contributed to the propulsion system design, but probably not old enough to have created the ORIGINAL design) designed these new engines with two more coils apiece but with the same nacelle structure.

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps