Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » FASA's TNG Officer's Manual (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: FASA's TNG Officer's Manual
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of the LUG ships may LOOK like suck, but at least with the Spacedock supplement (available on the fan website) you can design your OWN ships and have them look like what YOU want them to, as long as you can draw.

They also have a Ship Recognition Manual coming out (in pdf format) that should cover more canon/semicanon ships. I'm interested in seeing that.

I don't remember whether FASA had a ship design handbook, or whether you were stuck with what they gave you.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mean to slight the artist - he did a good job on at least some of the designs. I liked the Chandley-class frigate and the Solar-class cutter, for example. Still no rationalization behind these absurdly long nacelle pylons, though.

I happen to have the FASA ship reco menuals. [scrounge scrounge] The ship design and writeups are by Forest G. Brown, Dana Knutson and Robert Oswald.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a friend (who got me into Trek - way back when) had a brown and white silouhette SP? chart of all these starships. I gather that was FASA?

Anyone have a list of these ships?

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mark. Never heard of them. I'm assuming these guys did the work on all the FASA Rec Manuals. Does anyone know if they did any work on fan-produced blueprints or books?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Purrrr....

I also own a copy of "the purple book", as me and my friends like to call it. It made for interesting reading, but had little use for role-playing purposes as the game was currently published. It was highly speculative on several fronts and proved very unpopular. At the time, FASA was expected to follow-up with the Official Galaxy class blueprints, that were later designed and released elsewhere.

FASA did follow-up with a "Year One Sourcebook" (black and red cover) for the Next Generation. Much higher quality publication. Dealt specifically with characters, equipment, and starships as seen in Season One ONLY. It did not speculate on the future concepts of anything. I felt it was one of the best publication's FASA had to offer. Unfortunately, the licensing issue was already being confronted (as stated in above postings) and FASA was unable to follow-up with the annual sourcebook concept.

Purrrr....

IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me, but (IMSHO):

YUCK!!
Those are some ugly semi-kitbashes!

sorry..

So, Psi'a Meese, are you a Caitian?

------------------
To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
The Amtal Rule (Dune)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

will harless
Ex-Member

hey first of two what is the address of that fasa fan site.... i have most of the old fasa trek manuals and some of the designs are decent and some are just plain bad.... i think they just didn't understand what they needed to do for those books back then.... plus a little care for just making things line up in each view could have been a plus....
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I used to have this book. I remember the "Ambassador"-Class design they gave was really funky. In fact, I remember being told that the Enterprise-C would be seen in a TNG ep as "Ambassador"-Class and expressed shock because it didn't have the traditional design elements (i.e.: saucer, neck, engineering hull, pylons and warp nacelles).

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

RAMA
Member # 380

- posted      Profile for RAMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to point out in defense of the FASA tech manual, that the ships were awful, but there were a multitude of great technological innovatiosn that STNG SHOULD have incorporated into the series. Plus it has some nice diagrams of equipment. Consider it an early, alternate historical archive. :-)

RAMA

------------------
Recession repression regression
Shifts of scenery
And warning tremors of landslides
The sun comes down
The mountains move aside
Your kingdom slips out of your hands

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've actually been able to do nice things with the Chandley, Larson, Loknar, Wilkerson, and one or two others in AutoCAD. Most are total write-offs, though. Remember the Northampton? Pylons go out and down, then straight down a long ways, the down and in, then straight in, then up and in, and there are the nacelles. Add the fact that this whole assembly is angled back at 45 degrees... By the time the warp plasma gets to the nacelles, it wouldn't be much more than a warm breeze! And OO! what targets...

I for one am rejoicing the fact that Decipher now has the rights to produce RPGs and miniatures for all Trek properties. If they have access to a decent CAD/CAM setup, with the CGI models they have... *siiiiigh*

And I've already made sure some of the team know to haunt Bernd's and Steve's and several other intensive ship-research sites, so they get the designs right (what was UP with the LUG guy?!).

*dance of joy*

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

Purrr...akesh,

Yep. Caitian here...purrrrr...and not those ugly ones from ST:IV's council chambers either...purrr

Actally, Psi'a is from an old FASA rpg I once played. She was the Chief medical officer of the USS Lexington during the 2270's. Ah, the messes she got into with ship's captain, Seren (a vulcan).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps