Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Faster-than-light, no left or right. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Faster-than-light, no left or right.
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for looking that up, I knew it was somewhere in the ST:TNG manual about warpflight direction changes. Maybe the little saying is exaggerated and refers to the difficulty in changing a ship's heading 'drastically' while in warp.
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the answer!

Nimrod: And how do think the Prometheus sections change position at warp? By changing the warp field

Another reference: The Species 8472 ship that got rammed by a Borg cube in 'Scorpion, part 2' tried to turn away when the Cube rammed it. This also happened at warp speeds.

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks people. It was really starting to bug me.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altair: I'm triyng to tell you the prommie-sections strafed sideways to surround the Nebula, they never banked or tilted.
They didn't need to change their heading, they just shifted their positions with gentle thruster boosts. Shouldn't the warp fields have been intact then?

Since the manouver (vre?) was performed by the flight-computer I assume it knew exactly how much thrusting to use without sending the crafts into planets.

I haven't read any warp-books, just using common sense. If I'm wrong then I humbly apologize...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So - does this summarize what we've seen?

You're treking along at warp 6 and pick up a distress call off the port side of the ship 10 minutes away (at warp 6). Your options are:

A) drop out of warp, turn to face the source of the signal, resume warp.

B) Remain in warp, turn in a long arc to reach the signal source.

I suppose which you'd choose would depend on distance, etc.

Sorry for any typos - got my eyes dilated this morning and I can't see very well.

------------------
TK

[This message has been edited by Toadkiller (edited February 22, 2001).]

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod..the Prometheus probably did use thrusters only to get some lateral separation on the Nebula, but don't look for banking or tilting to confirm a course change. Both are totally unneccessary in a vacuum and have been included in shows for dramatic purposes...unless it was used to aim a point weapon more effectively.
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"don't look for banking or tilting to confirm a course change"

I won't, although they could pose a threat to warp field stability for non-borg ships (Scorpion, Pt I).

In any case, the Prometheus' course didn't change, so my claim still stands.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about "Basics part 1"? There's at least one shot of Voyager flying along at warp while a Kazon ship flies around it, exchanging fire. The Kazon ship definetly alters orientation (if not speed. Thinking about it, if both ships were doing, say, warp 6, and one altered it's heading slightly, it'd fly off pretty quickly).

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that thrusters are of any use at warp speeds, and that any and all course changes, however minor, are accomplished through the nacelles themselves.

It seems that whenever something is transfered to or from a warp field, special measures have to be taken to get it to work. Phasers have their special ACB 'jackets', transporters have to match up frequencies and warp speeds and probably other, more boring but no less important numbers. Adding that capability to the manuvering thrusters seems like much more trouble than it is worth, since we have already somewhat firmly established that the warp drive is what does all the pushing at warp speeds.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just realized:

The Prometheus sections probably did not change their warp fields, because that would create some very wierd 'turbulance' with four ships so close to eachother.

Sorry Nimrod!

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

It's ok, but I've always been bothered by that thing The Turnip brought up. If two ships fly at warp 6, and one accelerates to 6.1, it would get a mindboggingly big lead.
And if one would make a course correction they should just disappear, as they fly faster than the light reflecting them...

Something Trek vfx often never does is display the REAL relations between ships, velocities and points in space. The "warp-traveling" torpedoes, for one thing.
Even contemporary rockets fly faster than the Voyager's torpedoes.
I'm thinking of "Thirty Days", when Paris tried to liberate the waterworld. Voyager fired a torpedo that, in relation to the surface of the sea, traveled at 70mph, give or take. I could send a golfball faster than that.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 23, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oi, what am I missing about the word "turnip"? You used it in the Breen ship thread, too. Is this just some obssession of yours, or what? *L*

------------------
"I am slightly disturbed that a news station in the US would use the phrase 'to the max'. What's next? CNN saying 'Totally righteous murders?' BBC News 'Dude, like people were wasted yesterday'. The Times reporting 'Iraq bombed! For Great Justice!'?"
-Liam Kavanagh, 22.Feb.2001

Nim
Member # 205

*sigh* Check the Barney-bashing thread, Shik's "Argh"-thread and the "Trek-DVD box sets" thread. Behind the curtains...

Don't think I'll let him off the hook just yet, though!
And Sol should check both sides of the road before he crosses.
"Hell hath no fury like a little turnip scorned"...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 23, 2001).]

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

I actually had to explain that speed/distance thing to a friend:

When the Prometheus came out of warp by the EMH, the Federation ships entered the scene mere moments after it. But because they were at very high warp, close to warp 9.9, they could indeed be at the scene so fast.

------------------

hoth1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod wrote:
----------------
It's ok, but I've always been bothered by that thing The Turnip brought up. If two ships fly at warp 6, and one accelerates to 6.1, it would get a mindboggingly big lead.
And if one would make a course correction they should just disappear, as they fly faster than the light reflecting them...
------------------

You are talking about actually see the ship on a screen right? Because they got FTL sensors- I'm just wanna be sure about what you meant.

KK

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps