Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Daedalus class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Daedalus class
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the Daedalus class was designed as a super ship thatcould be easily produced. She probably incorporated newer, smaller lasers tht equaled to the larger ones on larger ships. She was probably faster and more manuverable than those larger ships. The Daedalus class might even have firstor second generation shields. So producing these ships in vast quantities that these ships might be equal or better than those larger ships.

Example: Heavy cruiser os WWII could take down early battleships of 1900 becuase or longer range, faster, better fire control, and better ammunition

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, isn't that special...?

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waiting for DARKSTAR's comment...

------------------
"Great is okay, but amazing would be great!" - Bender

USS Allegiance LCARS Database

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I have posted this topic a few months ago...

Actually I thought of this for my web site that will be up.

------------------

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What larger ships?

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO COMMENT
IP: Logged
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Larger Earth ships or Romulan ships. If you think about it, the Daedalus class is small its about the same size as a foot ball field. Also the only thing that is canon on the ship is that it is one of the first Starfleet ships and might have been the first with the multi-hull concept. The only reason I could think of that makes this ship siginificant is that the class was a technical marvel as it could have been built the latest tech to defeat the Romulans. The small size could only indicate that either that the previous ships were smaller or that this ship was buit for mass production or even that the class isn't even a heavy cruiser type like it was thought of, perhaps a detroyer.

------------------

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DEFEAT the Romulans? Wasn't the Daedalus-class introduced *after* the Federation-Romulan wars? I don't have my chronology with me here, but if that is true, than the Daedalus-class would have never encountered a Romulan ship, as the Romulans entered a period of extended isolation afterward. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahem.

Perhaps what is meant is that Starfleet designed the Daedelus-Class to be able to attack and destroy any Romulan starships. You know, "the war is over, let's go build a ship that can kick the butt of those damn Rommies."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking above, I think Darky's getting a sense of humour.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Ok in the chronology, it never stated that the Daedalus class was built AFTER the war, it only stated that a couple ships in the class was lost after the war in the 2160's. So that leaves out that you can write an entier history on the class without contradicting what's already known. We don't even know when the war started in the first place! For all we could know the war could have lasted over 20 years!

------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a conjectural history of the Daedalus class by some guy. http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sfmuseum/daedalus.htm
The article basically says that Daedalus cruisers were demilitarized, exploratory versions of Comet cruisers and entered service with Earth's Navy just before the end of the war.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some Guy, indeed.

I've always liked that take on the Daedalus. Plus, the nifty pictures don't hurt.

There's that serial novel by Pocket books that has something about the creation of the Daedalus. I don't know what it's about, I only have one of the chapters. From what I've read, it's interesting enough.

------------------
"This is such an amazingly minor complaint. Does anyone actually watch episodes anymore, or is it just a notebook + pause button exercise these days?"
-Sol System on what constitutes modern day Star Trek watching, 02-22-01

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Starfleet: Year One" story in its entirety is a pretty dull read, but it has its moments. I've got the chapter where the former Christopher class ship captains discuss what should go into the Daedalus and what shouldn't. The author believes that these earlier RW era ships had small crews of just a few dozen, so the Daedalus and her 200 crew would be bigger than what Starfleet used to have. It might of course be that only the top-of-the-line Christopher class was lightly manned, while more mundane ships were bigger and clumsier.

Anyway, the Christopher captains argue about the balance between long-range military and short-range scientific sensors, the possibility of giving the ships efficient subspace communications, and the range vs. speed balance. It's not quite revealed which attributes are chosen for the final ships, though. Evidently, the Daedaluses would feature arboretums and extensive laboratories while earlier ships did not. Weaponry would still be missiles and lasers.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problem is that the Daedalus is too small at 105m. Masao and some other guy came to the conclusion that the nominal crew should be only 100, and that the 200 aboard the Essex should include guest scientists.

Alternatively, we could make the ship a lot larger. This could solve the problem of the neck which is hardly tall enough to stand upright. If the windows are supposed to match the decks too, we would easily get a 300m ship.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps