Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Re-evaluating the Excelsior-class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Re-evaluating the Excelsior-class
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
V and VI were the same sets, just a darker tone of paint on VI.

What's WRONG with that set, anyway?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not just 24 Excelsiors, of course - I think we saw more than that in a single episode in the latter half of DS9. But it would be a scale-up of sorts. First, a dozen or so Constitutions as the frontline ships. Then, two dozen or so Excelsiors (first batch with four-digit regos, then the rest with those 14000-range ones), with Constitutions and Constitution-sized ships being introduced in greater numbers as second-line ships (I like to believe in the "Ships of the Star Fleet" setup where there were soemthing like fifty Constitutions or downrated sister designs in the movie era). Then, more Excelsiors (in the 42000 range) to serve as the second-line ships while Ambassadors/Niagaras and later Nebulas/Galaxies become the frontline units.

It would be a bit much to assume that Starfleet would immediately jump from a fleet that thought of just 12 or so Constitutions with pride, to an uninterrupted prodution of the huge Excelsiors until their numbers reached the triple digits. Instead, mass production would probably only follow when the design no longer was the very top of the line.

Timo Saloniemi

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the Excelsior class was to built to replace the Enterprise class (sorry) as the front line ship. That would support the fact thatvarious Excelsiors have Enterprise class names (sorry again) I would only assume that the Enterprise classes was perhaps 1. a quick refit for the Constitution classes until the Excelsiors came into common veiw, 2. The Enteprise class was just too old and that a logical mass production oif these vessels were too wasteful when you can build the Excelsiors at the same rate. 3. the Excelsiors were thought of as a the newest ship and would make a complete fleet of Excelsiors.

3. is not realistic so...

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no such thing as the Enterprise-Class.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I presume he means the Constitution-refit, which kinda muddles what he's trying to say in point (1). But I agree the refit didn't do much but prolong the life of the class until it was replaced by the Excelsior.

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff... The Enterprise bridge in ST V was a completely different animal from ST VI. V was pretty much just a refurb of the existing set. VI on the other hand was too big for the bridge dome, the turbolifts were spaced too far to port and starboard... Mark? Can you elaborate?

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ST V and VI bridge sets *were* the same ones, rearranged and modified significantly. Between the two movies, they swapped the science and communications consoles with their respective turbolifts, such that the turbos are almost oppostie each other. The consoles themselves were redone so that they stuck out a little more, and had physical switches mixed in with the LCARS displays. They stripped the carpets off, reuphostered all the chairs, and repainted everything too. However, it *is* still the set. In these pics you can just make out the aft of the bridge:

http://services.tos.net//pics/st5/st5-chekov.jpg http://services.tos.net//pics/st5/st5-discovery.jpg
http://services.tos.net//pics/st6/st6-scotty4.gif http://services.tos.net//pics/st6/st6-treason.gif

Note the ribbed wall panelling on the aft wall - they're about the only thing that WASN'T changed on the set.

And in comparison, here's how it looked at the end of Star Trek IV. This is what you might be confused with - it's the same set used through the first movies, painted in white and with LCARS panels instead of switces, dials and knobs.
http://services.tos.net//pics/st4/st4-crew.gif

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gods... The cosmetic differences between V and VI are so pronounced, I didn't even notice. But those same cosmetic differences piss me off no end. The bridge in V was gorgeous. The bridge in VI was ... for me ... too over-the-top, too militaristic, too cold and uncomfortable (even on the TOS bridge I'd rather pull an 8-hour watch than the VI bridge...), plus the "what were they thinking -- or were they?" with the lifts...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I most certainly prefer the VI bridge. Who knows why they moved the turbolifts, maybe they now drop into a horizontal shaft and not a vertical shaft.

I dunno -- I just like the VI bridge better.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the VI bridge as well. The V edition was too "plastic fantastic" to me, and didn't really fit the movie era - Herman Zimmerman *did* want to present a sort of bridge between the TOS adn TNG eras, but in this case it was too much, too soon IMO. The V bridge was pretty featureless - all the stations looked identical, all of them were facing away from the captain, and it looked very generic for a ship like the Enterprise. In VI they added lots of details, like the individualized consoles for Spock and Uhura, darker colour palette, and more atmospheric lighting.

Not to say that the V bridge was BAD, it just didn't have any character to me. And not to say that the VI bridge didn't have any problems either: I really hated how they suddenly went back to physical switches after the IV-V bridges demonstrated LCARS. All those LED clocks didn't help any (nor that fact that no two seemed to have the same time!).

Ironically enough though, the same set eventually was restored to its plastic fantastic specs when it was presented to us as the bridge of the USS Prometheus almost a decade later. Which is an insanely popular vessel, for whatever reason.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't really like the TOS bride or the STI-III brides as I thought they were too plain. I bet if I saw the bridge along with the refitted E-nil when they were first on screen I am sure that I would have different thoughts but since I wasn't even born then...

The STV bridge in my opinion was the best thing in that movie, everything was just plain shitty. STVI has that militeristic look but at least the look was maintained in Generations in the E-B.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TOS bridge too plain? How about, it set the standard and ever since then each new bridge has tried to better it, usually by adding more detail?

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say the Enterprise-B bridge, but with the comfy, stabile chairs from the Defiant.
As a bridge for battle, the Defiant bridge. It's simply so effective.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 01, 2001).]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda liked the E-B and E-A bridges...but I'm not looking forward to seeing the color scheme when the next TNG movie comes out.

------------------
"Oh for fuck's sake, stop your moaning,
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps