Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Torpedo storage

Author Topic: Torpedo storage
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-A's torpedo launchers seem small. I am guessing that the E-A stored in that neck about 20-30 torpedos. What I am getting at if the E-A was designed with a thicker neck how much more do you think it could fit?

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

[This message has been edited by Matrix (edited March 03, 2001).]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

The Enterprise held about a hundred torpedoes, according to ST VI.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A woodchuck would chuck all the wood he could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, no! It's:

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or:

"A woodchuck could chuck all the wood a woodchuck could, if a woodchuck could chuck wood."

------------------
We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
"Wowsers!"
-Star Trek: Series ?: "A Pair o' Docs, part II"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dammit, Mark. See what you started...

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Basill
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know but the Connie neck seems like a pretty dubious place to store photon torpedo warheads, armed ones at least. It just seems so narrow and unprotected. Klingon intelligence gets a hold of the news and every engagement would have the boneheads going for the neck every time. Although the launcher is located at the base of the dorsal connector it is firmly rooted atop the engineering hull, so it is in a better position than say mid neck. Although the neck is meant to separate in an emergency I would not like to invite emergencies by storing dangerous weaponry in an easily targetable section. Perhaps the bulk of the warheads (sans antimatter combustibles) are stored up in the neck, and they only send up the matter/antimatter charges during red alert status from the deeply protected innards of the engineering hull, where antimatter is stored in bulk. Of course the placement of the launchers makes sense then, because the launchable tubes coming down and the M/AM rising up, would then meet in the middle. Just my thoughts.

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

IP: Logged
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hi. I am selling these fine leather jackets..."

* Mental note to self: must resist urge to reply to M.I. quotes next time *

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Rain Man, the whole area was fired upon by Khan, didn't do much except make it inhabitable. I don't think they designed torpedoes to go off without detonating them.

Now, would you rather store the torpedoes deep in the bowels of the ship so that it A: would need an ingenious tram-system to transport the goodies to the launchers (which would take even longer than the +-5 minutes it usually took as it was), and B: blow up the whole ship if they DID go off in such a tight entrenchment?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 04, 2001).]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I think you mean UNinhabitable...

I get the impression that antimatter containment is one of the most serious concerns aboard a ship. No matter WHERE the reactants are stored, if the containment fields drop, there's gonna be a whole lotta hurtin' goin' on. And besides, I don't think the torps are even armed (loaded, yes, but not armed) until they're in the firing tube(s).

And lastly, it has been pointed out that the E seen in TWoK and TSfS had been serving as a training vessel, and that the manual torpedo operations were probably an Enterprise-specific retrofit to teach teamwork and the like, even though the actual skills wouldn't be needed on a regular Starfleet ship -- like the Eagle and the Constitution for the United States presently. This supposition is backed up by what we saw of the torpedo facilities in TUC.

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matrix, I've turned off email notification on this thread. It seems that AOL has pulled another one of their infamous stupidity acts and have blocked all outgoing mail from FutureQuest.

------------------
"Babies are squirmy, ugly, dirty, smelly, and noisy. They'd offend all five of my senses if I had any reason to lick one..."
-- TSN, 2001.01.11 23:27, PhoenixChat

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Sounds harsh.

TUC?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

"The Undiscovered Country"

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Hmmm assholes...) I hate AOL.

If Khan decided to fire torpedoes instead of phasers then what? Instead of just a breach along that side, what you'll get a either a large hole in the neck where BOTH tubes are useless OR the entire neck is severed where now the saucr is a sitting duck in terms of speed and fire power.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps