Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Graveyard at Wolf 359 - Why?

Author Topic: Graveyard at Wolf 359 - Why?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking a lot about just HOW the Battle of Wolf 359 progressed from beginning to end. And while doing so, one of the big things was the how and why of the resulting graveyard scene.

You know about al the hulks floating around the 359 Graveyard? Why are they like that? I mean, if they got blown up, they would be flying off in all directions. Like the Oberth-class Bonestell, which got hit by the cutting beam and kept on going. Likewise, the USS Melbourne was hit, its saucer exploded, and the ship fell to the side as the cube moved on.

Solution: All the hulks in the Graveyard were the ships that were latched onto at some point by the Borg tractor beam. That would covert movement of the target ship to that relative to the direction and velocity of the cube. When released, the target vessel would remain at that same direction and velocity, unless subsequent explosions or whatever would push them on a different vector.

This brings the Melbourne into question, as it spins off to one side when the tractor beam releases it. I surmise that the tractor beam would arrest the movement not immediately, but eventually after locking on (this is common sense). Since the cube locked onto the Melbourne only long enough to destroy it, its forward momentum would not have been totally cancelled, hence why it kept on going after being released. The Saratoga, on the other hand, was locked onto for longer, and was obviously stopped.

Therefore, we can assume that the hulks in the graveyard were locked onto for similar lengths of time. However, let's assume that the cube destroyed ships in at three different ways in the battle: with the cutting beam alone (Bonestell); with the cutting and tractor beam, only long enough to destroy the ship but not stop its movement (Melbourne); and with the tractor beam for a period of time, stopping the ship for some wierd period of time (Saratoga). The next question is: why?

[Aside: I'm not counting when the Borg were using that green pulse weapon - but that's a whole other topic altogether]

Well, we can easily hypothesize that the Borg locked onto the Sartoga and held it long enough, for the purpose of assimilation - while there is no direct evidence for it, it's the most likely explanation for why the cube held the Saratoga long enough for Sisko to make it from the bridge to his quarters, have a dramatic scene over the body of his wife, get to the escape pods, and leave. I think that while all this was happening, Drones were busy in other parts of the ship, assimilating people and technology.

Therefore, if we can say that the other ships in the Wolf 359 graveyard were locked onto for similar lengths of time as the Saratoga, we can surmise that this was repeated for each of those ships. When relased, the hulks would be moving at the same speed and direction of the cube. Assuming the cube didn't change course through the system (which is unlikely given that they were on a "direct course to Earth"), then the hulks would create a graveyard scene of ships almost stationary relative to each other.

Why these ships? Well, note their sizes - they're almost all pretty big. We didn't see any smaller ships in the mix (Oberth sized or thereabouts). Perhaps the Borg focussed their assimilation efforts on the larger, people-packed starships, instead of on the smaller wouldn't be as worth assimilating, and better to just destroy - hence the Bonestell.

And what of the poor old Melbourne? Well, this fits in nicely with my theory that the Melbourne was an older, unmanned ship sent to ram the cube first off. She never fired, never tried evasive maneuvers. My idea is that the Borg, with Picard's experience in tactics, saw this and after a scan determined the best way to disable the Melbourne was to blow off half the saucer and push her out of the way, and thus to concentrate on attacking and assimilating the other ships, starting with the Saratoga. The Bonestell, getting in the way, was popped off without a second though (I think that she was trying to help the Saratoga by taking on survivors, but that again is a whole other post).

I've surely missed a few points, but I think I'm going in the right direction with this. Thoughts?

Mark

PS - Yes, I'm thinking about all this for the Wolf 359 Battle Analysis we ALL want to do. If we can figure out enough about it, we just may be able to write a beginning-to-end analysis for the whole thing.

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That idea for the Melbourne trying to ram the cube is one of the best ones I've heard. It could also neatly solve the dual-identity paradox -- the Excelsior-class Melbourne was hauled out of storage and sent in on a kamikaze run, while the other Nebula-class Melbourne was a fully-active starship.

The only problem with your idea is that there are still some relatively small ships in the graveyard. As I understand it ships like the Springfield and the Challenger were pretty small - with scaled-down saucers and nacelles? They would be around the same size as the Saratoga...

Oh. (Sorry, I'm thinking as I type here. ) Right, the Saratoga was one that was (according to this theory) nearly assimilated. We know from Voyager that there were a bunch of survivors that were assimilated and somehow returned to the Delta Quadrant. They probably came from these ships...

Sounds like a great theory.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting theory. Won't stop you going to hell for heresy, but shit happens. I don't see a problem with any of it, apart from I'm fed up with the whole Melbourne argument.8)

------------------
Ross: This is not good for my rage. *takes another pill*

Nonsuch
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the ships were all drawn together by the most powerful force in Trek, Dramatic Effect.

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've really missed the point of these Forums... haven't you.

------------------
"Yar, a lesbian? That girl had a sex drive! First, Data in Naked Now, then, in
Hide and Q, she hits on Picard! "Oh, if only you weren't the captain..." God! If
Denise Crosby hadn't left the series, she'd've slept with the entire senior staff by
now!" Jeff Kardde - March 7, 2001

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borg tractor beams does not disintegrate matter. You must've confused it with the disintegrator beam, the Melbourne never lost momentum when hit, and it was going right at the cube after being destroyed, not going to the side.

The Saratoga wasn't destroyed by the tractor beam either, it exploded the second the cube activated an additional cutter beam, during the pod-launch.

I hardly think the borg invaded the ships, they didn't have time to divert further from their course. Besides, they wouldn't blow the ship up but tractor it into the insides of the cube if they wanted it so bad.
I think they reasoned that if they succeeded in assimilating earth, they could take the ships after that. And if they didn't succeed...

And I too am so fed up with the Melbourne-yadda.

------------------
You can't kill me, I'm charming!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 10, 2001).]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could also be that the Saratoga wasn't considered as worthy of combat attention as other formations making a run on the cube. She could have been held immobile while the cube dealt with the Bellerophon, Yamaguchi, Nebula-Melbourne (she IS right there between the cube and the Saratoga...) and probably several other ships making runs along other vectors, then taken out when there was a brief lull.

And Nimrod: I think we've abandoned trying to convince others of the rightness of our respective opinions. Mark was just stating fact.

Fact: There was a Nebula-Melbourne in "BoBW".
Fact: It was also used in "Emissary".
Fact: There was also an Excelsior-Melbourne in "Emissary".

Everything else is conjecture and interpretation.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well every ship is not dangerous to a Cube. It makes sense as the Saratoga is a old design and the Bellerphon and the Yamaguchi are fairly new designs.

Perhaps the Borg cube stopped debris from flying to the ship becuase a big enough debris can damage to cube alot.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

[This message has been edited by Matrix (edited March 11, 2001).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think some people here are selling the Cube a bit short. We know it stopped or at least slowed down to low impulse speeds, so it didn't seem to be in that great a hurry to proceed to Earth. IMHO it could well have afforded to sit and wait until it had sucked the last bit of useful data from the fleet - assimilation in fact seems the ONLY credible reason for the ship to stop at all. If Starfleet had the technology to force Borg cubes out of warp speed, surely we would have seen this tech in use in the Typhon Sector engagement. (Starfleet probably did *think* it had the tech, since it mounted these barricade defences in both invasions, but the Typhon barricade didn't work at all, and the Wolf one may have succeeded only because the Borg let it.)

The way "Emissary" was cut, it seems that the bulk of the battle took place while Ben was searching for Jennifer - before that, there were no wrecks, and after that, there were no intact ships left. So the Cube probably didn't really "put some ships on extended hold" while dealing with others, as much as it just processed them simultaneously.

I fully agree that all the wrecks we saw were victims of assimilation - that explains their relative immobility and the fact they weren't blown to even smaller pieces. I wouldn't wonder if some ships self-destructed when the Drones started beaming in, to avoid capture. Thus the lack of Ambassador or modern-Nebula wrecks in the graveyard: those would probably have been priority targets, and the Borg would have tried to take them intact, but they failed. Their biggest catches were the proto-Nebula and the Niagara. I wonder if the Saratoga was in reality blown up by a quick-witted member of her crew as well?

Or did the Borg in fact succeed in taking the biggest ships intact, and used these to ferry the assimilees to the nearest transwarp conduit for a trip to Delta quadrant?

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, taking the ships intact probably is a good idea. At least the computercores would be of some interest. It wouldn�t be all that hard to install a transwarp drive of some kind on the ships, jury-rig 'em so to speak.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

[This message has been edited by pIn'a' Sov (edited March 12, 2001).]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, that would be interesting - the 40th starship in the fleet wasn't actually destroyed, but was captured and sent with all those 359 assimilees back to the Unimatrix for further study and stuff. Neat idea.

And the Saratoga most likely didn't self-destruct. The Borg cutting beam is clearly seen hitting the port nacelle, which then exploded, followed by the rest of the ship. Probably just a lucky shot - or, the Borg were trying to extract a part of the nacelle for assimilation, hit some plasma, and accidentally detonated the ship... Oops, time to move on to the next target.

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a Voyager episode, the Melbourne is identified as a ship that had crew seized by the Borg. This episode gave the name of another ship-the Tombaugh.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

That'd be "Infinite Regress" where Seven MPS's a bunch of assimilees, including a crewman on the USS Tombaugh - however, no mention is made that the Tombaugh was at Wolf 359. Nor was the Melbourne mentioned in that episode at all, AFAIK...

However, the point is true that numerous people were assimilated at Wolf 359. "Unity" and "Unimatrix Zero" are at least two such examples where assimilees show up. Then there was that Bajoran woman from the Excalibur, who was also not from Wolf 359.

Hey, y'know what? All these assimilated Starfleet officers or crew are FEMALE! What's going on? What was the Queen looking for in her victims?

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brains, perhaps.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either that or the Borg Queen has some bisexual undertones written into her character. Reminds me of Intendant Kira from the Mirror Universe. Remember her and mirror Ezri? Kissy, kissy.

I never thought the Borg could have their 'one who brings order to chaos' as a bisexual...maybe its just me .

------------------
"There will be a substantial reward for the one who finds the Millennium Falcon. You are free to use any methods necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegrations."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps