Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TOS Enterprise Torpedo Tubes?

Author Topic: TOS Enterprise Torpedo Tubes?
[email protected]
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone tell me where on the original series Enterprise the torpedo tubes were located, what deck?

JDW

------------------

IP: Logged
Zor Prime
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again, it depends on what source.
If you watch the series, they came from the same spot as the phasers. Deck 10 or 11 or so.-at the lower point of the primary hull.
If you look at Franz Joseph's plans, he puts them under the bridge at deck 2 or 3, which makes a sort of sense, but was never seen like that in the show.

IP: Logged
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Additionally, there are aparently six or more "tubes," since Kirk ordered "tubes one through six" loaded in at least one episode. We've only seen torpedoes fire out of two places, about 90 degrees apart and just above the lower dome. I prefer to think that there are two three-torp revolver-style "tubes" that feed two launchers, so that you can have a six-shot volley launched in a second or two.

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree... I was just thinking 'revolving' torpedo launcers... something like what was seen on the upgrade to DS9??

------------------
"Yar, a lesbian? That girl had a sex drive! First, Data in Naked Now, then, in
Hide and Q, she hits on Picard! "Oh, if only you weren't the captain..." God! If
Denise Crosby hadn't left the series, she'd've slept with the entire senior staff by
now!" Jeff Kardde - March 7, 2001

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I think the spinning batteries of DS9 was turnable for the sake of target acquisition.

But the theory of arevolving magazine for the older ships is solid. It makes sense that they would have more crude methods at that time.

Kind of like the old naval guns of battleships. Two guns (one front, one aft) would've been enough if they'd had a really fast and effective ammunition feeding system, but some ships had, what, sixteen main guns???

Of course, the multiple barrels was also for the sake of covering all possible distances the target could be at, having one barrel cover the area of 1500 meters away, the next covering the 1600 m area etc.
Nowadays the satellite feed and nice radars render that method of "making sure" obsolete.

------------------
You can't kill me, I'm charming!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 10, 2001).]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If ogrget the website but they said that each Constitution class was different in respects of every captian "personalizing" their ship. I think Captain Kirk added more science labs or something. Its a good explanation as such as in the real navies, captains see what's wrong with a ship and asks for some refitting to get it right. US battleships in the 20's and 30's were like this, as every ship was different to even their sister ships.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps