Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Quantum Torpedoes??

Author Topic: Quantum Torpedoes??
[email protected]
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone explain to me exactly the differences between photon torpedoes and quantum torpedoes?

JDW

------------------

IP: Logged
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think the accepted answer is that photon torpedoes are a "simple" matter/anti-matter reaction for propulsion and the explosion, and that quantum torpedoes use matter/anti-matter for propulsion and a zero-point energy warhead for the actual explosion.

--jacob

IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's an explanation that goes something like this:

Photon torpedoes use matter and anti-matter for a warhead, quantum torpedoes use quantum filaments as a warhead.

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the quantum filament idea was a purely theoretical concept put forward by Utopia Planitia, largely because we knew dick all about them until the DS9TM came out, which gave us the zero-point energy thing.

------------------
"People have the right to discriminate based on religion."
-Omega, Jan 26
"There is no "seperation of church and state" in the Constitution"
-Omega, Jan 30
"A private business has the right to refuse service to any person or group, be they KKK, black, gay, or neo-nazi, regardless of reason."
-Omega, Feb 24

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope the next ship has some kind of hybrid of the two, not as puny as a photon, not as devastating or clumsy as a quantum. I imagine a white-glowing torpedo, flying a bit faster and with more agility than the others have. Dreams, dreams.

------------------
You can't kill me, I'm charming!

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but the beginning of "The Changeling" has Spock saying that a Nomad's blast was equivalent to a large number of photon torpedoes (I don't remember the exact figure), and that the Enterprise could take three or four more blasts before the shields went out. Might be useful in estimating their strength relative to torpedoes of other eras.

Boris

------------------
I'm not the Boris Skrbic on the Grafitti Wall website

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris, what's SD 51030? I know Scorpion Pt. II was in 51003. And does "AFTER" the date imply you didn't like Scorpion?

------------------
You can't kill me, I'm charming!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps