Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Voyager's Engineering Set

Author Topic: Voyager's Engineering Set
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing about my daily routine, is that the cable sci-fi channel I watch usually shows TNG reruns while I'm doing my web rounds. Today, I'm watching "Eye of the Beholder", which features the Nacelle Tube set.

Looking at the set, I discover to my surprise that it's... Part of Voyager's engineering set! The upper deck consoles are identical, as are lots of the support struts. When building the Voyager sets, they obviously incorporated the Nacelle tube set-of-the-week, with parts of the E-D set, to make Engineering. It was probably deemed okay as next to no one goes up there anyway. Spiff.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the Ghu is a "Nacelle Tube Set"?

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The set for the nacelle tube control room seen in "Eye of the Beholder".

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdul Abubul Amir."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, okay. You are referring to the aft nacelle control room? The one with the really lame control pedestal?

------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aft? I thought it in the forward part of the nacelle, under the yellow grille thingy.

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Treknophyle
Member # 509

One of the other threads had a whole spiel on this, but I thought it was generally-accepted that the control room was aft of the coils - just ahead of the off-axis dingus.

BTW - how goes the nit-picking?

------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd's site has a scan of the Galaxy Nacelle, from the Fact-Files, which points out the location of the control room as aft.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think it ought to be in the front. The plasma injector should, anyway, and the episode showed the control room at the same end.

------------------
"...I know this board in secret, intimate ways which are beyond your comprehension.... Let's just say that people should *not* be telling me what to do; it should always be the other way around."
-"Red Quacker", conspiracy theorist and contemporary lunatic

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But wouldn't the aft end be the more logical place for the plasma injector? After all, the pylon that supposedly carries the main plasma conduit doesn't attach to the front end of the nacelle, but to the aft half of it. So the plasma injector would be somewhere between the midpoint and aft end of the nacelle, or else there would be a horizontal stretch of conduitry running along the nacelle from the pylon/nacelle junction to the nacelle front end.

I'm not saying there couldn't be such a horizontal conduit, but it seems extraneous if it doesn't matter where plasma is injected to the coils. If, OTOH, it's critical that the plasma stream enter at the front, there is nothing to indicate that a plasma conduit COULDN'T run along the nacelle. Only small, modern shuttlecraft- or runabout- sized vessels have so far shown external signs of where the plasma conduits may run (with rows of tan squares apparently marking the conduit locations)- in starships, their location is carefully hidden...

Or do the squares on the pylons of a TOS-style Constitution amount to the same thing as the squares on the pylons of a Danube runabout or a type-9 shuttle?

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Sovvie has indications of were the plasma conduits run along inside of the nacelle pylons. But that arguement just changed my mind from thinking it was in the front of the nacelle to thinking it was in the aft portion.

I think the camera angels were the problem. The way the scene was shot, it always seemed that the entryway was the "front" of the room and the forcefield thingy was at the rear. This needn't be the case, though, and I don't think there was anything in the ep that would point to a specific location. It'd have been nice if we could've seen the Bussard Collectors at the end of the tube though

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdul Abubul Amir."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, granted, MSDs don't match the internal features of ships exactly, but the E-D's MSD does show the warp coils going all the way to the back, but w/ a large space at the front, behind the Bussards.

------------------
"...I know this board in secret, intimate ways which are beyond your comprehension.... Let's just say that people should *not* be telling me what to do; it should always be the other way around."
-"Red Quacker", conspiracy theorist and contemporary lunatic

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Also, note that the FF image is off-scale... You can fit more than two decks in the back of the nacelle!

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps