Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Phasers on the Olympic Class? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Phasers on the Olympic Class?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::drool::

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess it depends on the factors. That's assuming that:

1) the Enterprise-D hasn't been upgraded to be one of the top Starfleet ships ...

2) the Klingons weren't at full defensive/offensive capability fighting the Pasteur

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was possible to upgrade the ship so radically, why would she have been in danger of being decommissioned? (Of course, the D would not be the first Enterprise to recieve a radical refit. But then, that Enterprise was quickly relegated to trainee duty.) At any rate, I imagine a new ship designed around those technologies would probably be more capable than a refitted older ship.

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-D refit was probably done just to keep Admiral Riker happy - it would have been a pet project, ostensibly perhaps to test some new technologies, but basically just intended to keep an old ship in semi-useful condition because this influential admiral insisted so.

Anyway, the two future ships apparently weren't of Negh'Var class. Apart from the fact that they had no underwing pods (which housed the most devastating weapons of the actual Negh'Var in "Way of the Warrior"), they seemed to be of significantly smaller size in comparison with the Pasteur. Possibly another scaled-to-fit-the-mission design, like the Bird of Prey. The CCG called these the Voodieh class, didn't it?

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
why would she have been in danger of being decommissioned?

What? When was the E-D in danger of being decomissioned?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's said in "AGT" that Admiral Riker saved the ship from the scrapheap.

------------------
"Kif, I have made it with a woman! Inform the crew!"

- Zapp Brannigan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The only thing I can think of is that the ship got herself in a scrape, and instead of spending the time to refit her, Starfleet decided to scrap her.

The Galaxy-Class has a 100-year operational lifetime, so the Enterprise must've been destined for a scrapheap after a big battle, IMHO.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: Read my first post, man.
The Voodieh also has "fangs" which the other didn't. Meant to look scary, I'll bet they're given some token Treknobabble-function so the klingons won't look like complete morons.

"That? Uuuh, docking clamps for special klingon starbases! Yes, they sink their teeth in the docking port!"

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to concur with Jeff. There's no way they'd be scrapping Galaxies after only a few decades even if they were no longer the biggest and best. I mean, The Pasteur was evidently built before the Ent D and she was obviously still around. Must've been just the Enterprise.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that out of the surviving Galaxy Class starships in that timeline, the Enterprise took more structural damage and weapons fire. Perhaps that is why the ship was nearly decomissioned.

------------------
"When I said to get involved in the gay community, I didn't mean to sleep with everyone in it."
Michael_T

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to the "scrapped" issue.
No matter how long the ship is designed to be functional, that is assuming the ship has had an optimal mission history. Mission damage to the hull plating and/or weapons can be easily repaired/replaced in spacedock during a refit. Any mission)s) which caused severe structural damage (bent or twisted spaceframes), could retire a ship posthaste.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just reguarding the "like phasers on a medical ship" issue...

Phasers could also be used on such ships to destroy asteroids... clear away debris to gain access to wounded... drill holes into planets to beam up trapped miners... etc. etc.

I reckon phasers would be one of those "Don't leave spacedock with out them" sort of things.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Pasteur was evidently built before the Ent D and she was obviously still around."

Evidently? Specify.

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's the flamewar-inducing argument about registry numbers (E-D is 71000 or so, 'xept she has that honorary 1701-D, while Pasteur is a lowly 58925).

The Pasteur also features the squarish lifeboat covers familiar from the E-D and the E-C, but that's not a good indicator of ship age since the low-registered Steamrunners and Akiras have the "modern" triangular pods.

Furthermore, the Pasteur has E-D-style LCARS displays on the bridge, and not the more complex (and IMHO more primitive-looking) E-E style - while at least one future timeline ("The Visitor") suggests new and modern ships of the "AGT" future era should have "non-2D" controls.

It's still difficult to watertightly establish the Pasteur as an older type. But we do know semicanonically that ships of that class did operate back in the TNG era ("Interface"), so at least the Pasteur should not be radically newer than the E-D.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
Member # 205

Semi? Is Interface a book? Then I wouldn't put much cred there. I've always thought the Pasteur really looked futuristic, with that nicely shaped engineering section and such.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps