Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Square Turbolifts

Author Topic: Square Turbolifts
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could someone please explain to me the logic of using square turbolifts aboard starships? I think the Defiant has them, as does the Pasteur, the Enterprise-D, and possibly the Excelsior.

As far as I can tell there is not one single benefit to making a turbocar square or rectangular. It wastes space, because any curving horizontal section of track needs to be wider for a square car to make the turn. Square turbocars also cannot spin in place, so doors have to be on one side of the passage only. If you want them on boths sides, you'd have to have two sets of doors per car. And it isn't like you can fit more people into it or anything.

So that said, someone explain!

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise-D has round turbolifts, as obvious from every interior shot of them.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise-D did have one square turbolift. It was the emergency turbolift from that connected the Main Bridge with the Battle Bridge.

As for the logic behind square turbolifts, I cannot think of any. Assuming the diameter of a circular turbolift is equal to the length of a square turbolift, then the square turbolift would have more floor area (but not much more to make any sort of different).

I will say, though, that it is easier to build rectangular tubes than circular tubes in construction projects. But in the 24th Century, that wouldn't a bit of difference.

One could assume that in the case of square/rectangular turbolifts that there are large junctions connecting the vertical and horizontal shafts. That could allow adequate room for change orientation before stopping at the final destination.

If someone could please check this out, how does the orientation of the emergency turbolift on the Enterprise-D differ from its position on the main bridge to the battle bridge? Does it appear that this lift needs to change orientation anywhere?

------------------
Nic: She's not a practicing lesbian. We need PRACTICING lesbians!
Me: I have a camcorder.
Nic: But no lesbians.
Me: Ahhh... no.
Nic: DAMN IT MAN! WE NEED LESBIANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LESBIANS!

ICQ Conversation From January 23, 2001.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the production reason behind the square turbos is that it's way easier to build right angle sets than sound ones. The set builders can put straight-wall sets together much quicker than round ones.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the E-D blueprints, the emergency turbolift makes a lazy 90 degree turn clockwise while moving down, so that the door that opened on the starboard wall of the main bridge can open on the aft wall of the battle bridge. That is, the vertical part of the turboshaft twists like a corkscrew and it moves through the decks of the saucer section.

The cylindrar turbolifts of course pivot freely around their vertical axis so that they can access doorways in every conceivable direction. Since the lift tube in "Disaster" seemed rather wide, I wouldn't wonder if the lifts sometimes pivoted around other axes as well (they supposedly do have their own gravity plates, so turning a cab upside down wouldn't be too uncomfortable for the passengers).

A squarish turbolift would not be capable of such easy pivoting, but might be easier and sturdier to construct and operate. Thus, it would be used for the battle bridge expresslift connection where no pivoting ability is needed since there are only two stations, one at each end of an uninterrupted shaft.

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Defiant is the only ship that I recall which had square turbolifts. And if you ignore the DS9:TM floor plans, you might consider that for a ship as small as the Defiant, all you need is an elevator to change levels... unless you're too lazy to walk the 50 or so meters extra that the turbolift would take you along the horizontal track.

Really... have you looked at those Defiant floor plans? They make very little sense, considering that the ship is only 120 meters (or 170, if you believe the TM -- I won't start THAT debate ). It's clearly too small to make such horizontal turbolifts really necessary.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys left out one of the biggies. The original Enterprise had square turbolifts (interior), but round turboshafts (exterior). *heh*

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

BRUTUS
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forget whether there was ever a shot of the inside of the Battle Bridge turbo...is there one in Encounter at Farpoint? I know that there isn't one in BoBWs...where part of the battle bridge crew leaves the main bridge for the bathrooms. Maybe they were nervous.
IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think "EaF" shows a view of the doors of the BB turbolift closing when the heroes leave the main bridge, so that we do get a short glimpse of the interior of the lift. Will rewatch soon.

Perhaps the head on the main bridge has large-diameter plumbing suitable for Bugomite and Ogreoid use, and enlisted crew of sufficiently small diameter are encouraged to use a "flush-down" mode of intraship transport when in a hurry, so that the turbolifts will be left free for officer use?

Timo Saloniemi

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>The original Enterprise had square turbolifts
>(interior), but round turboshafts (exterior).

Ummm...look again. The walls may be made of flat panels, but the turbolift interiors on the original series are certainly NOT square any more than the bridge (which is also made of many flats) is.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember those quite clearly... the original Enterprise DID have round lifts -- remember how those silly grips were planted on the walls?

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The turbos on the original E were round. And those weren't just silly grips. Although they were stupid, they did have a purpose. You had to turn them if you wanted the lift to start moving.

The Pasteur did have square turbos IIRC. There was a shot of old Picard in the turbo going to the bridge or his quarters or something and the car was most definitely rectagular. The Excelsior originally had square lifts as well. That shot of the turbo in Engineering in ST:III shows this very clearly. (Computer: "Thank you." Scotty: "Up yer shaft.")

I agree wholeheartedly about the Defiant not needing horizontal shafts. Lazy bums! Walk, it's good exercise. Plus, they take up lots of space.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Battle Bridge turbolift is very deffinitly square. There's a good shot of it in EaF. It must lead elsewhere on the ship, because when preparing to beam down in "Justice", that's where Picard goes.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Timo
Member # 245

Also, when the bridge is to be evacuated in "Brothers", Data heads for this lift.

Then again, perhaps people just like to use this lift to access the stardrive section as rapidly as possible? The E-D blueprints show no stations between the two endpoints. Picard might have been going to the secondary hull transporters for some weird reason, perhaps to avoid the crowds or protesters rallied up by Crusher to block the doors of the primary hull transporters and to shout slogans at Picard...

Timo Saloniemi

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they were simply going to deliver instructions or verify the operational status of the Battle Bridge?

It's been a while since I've seen "Justice" so someone will need to remind of the nuances of the plot. If it's the episode I think it is, Picard could have ordered a backup staff to the Battle Bridge in case of the need for a saucer separation. And in "Brothers," Data may have had the responsibility to bring the Battle Bridge online before heading to Main Engineering with the remainder of the command staff.

------------------
Nic: She's not a practicing lesbian. We need PRACTICING lesbians!
Me: I have a camcorder.
Nic: But no lesbians.
Me: Ahhh... no.
Nic: DAMN IT MAN! WE NEED LESBIANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LESBIANS!

ICQ Conversation From January 23, 2001.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps