Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Phaser Types (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Phaser Types
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

Okay, so we all know that the Galaxy-Class has Type-X phasers, right?

Good.

So now, where have people been getting facts like the Sovereign has Type-XII?! The TNG Tech. Manual states that certain large facilities have classified, "Type-X+" phasers. Just what does the type number mean? Size? Power? Advancement?

Finally, is there a connection between phaser array size and power. If the smaller phasers on a ship such as the Galaxy-Class are actually less powerful than the large saucer ones, what's the point of even making these? Why not just make one long strip, for example, on the back of the neck instead of having those two shorter ones?

Thoughts?

------------------
Ace

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, those strips are made up of individual phaser generators in a line. Usually, they start charging at the ends and pass the power along to one point before firing. So, the more you have, the more power you can get.

However, I would guess that, beyond a certain point, this becomes ineffective. One generator would only be able to handle so much power for a single shot. The long strips are probably there to provide a wider firing range, and to allow multiple shots at a time from the one strip.

------------------
"As part of Mr. Lee's good neighbor policy, all Rat Things are programmed never to break the sound barrier in a populated area. But Fido's in too much of a hurry to worry about the good neighbor policy. Jack the sound barrier. Bring the noise."
-Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other smaller strips also provide the Galaxy-Class the ability to engage a target anywhere in range, not to mention the ability to engage several targets at once.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I belive the Phaser type is just like a Mk, meaning revisions made to the phaser system and beam itself. So a Mk IX phaser could be less focused, be slower, or have a slower ROF/fire durration.

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX StudiosThe United Federation Uplink
------------------
I don't like Wesley Crusher.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But "type" isn't like "mark" when applied to the hand phasers. The smallest handgun still is "type 1 phaser" and the next size is "type 2" in the TNG era. No indication of the advances in technology and design is given in the "type" number.

This would lead one to think that "type 10" phasers could also have existed for quite some time, and those on the E-D were "type 10 Mk 2" while those on the E-E are of "type 10 Mk 4" or something.

Timo Saloniemi

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I was thinking!

However, then I kept seeing the designation Type-XII being giving to the Sovereign on more than one occasion. Where did that come from?

------------------
Ace

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a word (or four), sad fanboy tosser rationalization. The Sovereign is better than the Galaxy, therefore it must have better phasers (12 is bigger than 10, therefore it's better) and 40 torpedo launchers.

------------------
"Kif, I have made it with a woman! Inform the crew!"

- Zapp Brannigan

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, four at least.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 28, 2001).]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure there is a model number for all Starfleet equipment ranging from the nacelles to the command chair on the bridge. For an example the 16" guns on the Iowa class battleships are fully called the 16"/50 calibur Mark 7 guns. I also think there is a production number for these but I'm not sure. Tjis is the reason why personally I like to call the E-nil's prerefit nacelles the PB series and the E-A's LN-64, and Excelsior's LN-72. It makes sense and until any "official" book comes out contradicting this then I will continue calling them this.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In one word: SciPubTech. Their horrible Enterprise-E cutaway poster listed Type XII as the spec.

------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, a crazy amalgamation of three words, at least.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Pro. Portside
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
first off let me say I like SicTechPub I have there
E-nil, E-D,E-E,DS9,BOP posters (and I am planig toget the defient if they ever get the thing done. it is lables as on hold at there site.) But other than pretty to look at I take there info with a pich or two of salt.

The E-D poster has the port impulse engine on the starbord side and the port RCS is labled as the port gang way hatch. So when I saw the XII lable for the E-E's pasers I just ignored it.

by the way any one with the E-E poster look to the left of impulse engine on the poster and tell me what those shapes floting in that space that is 2 decks tall are?

------------------
Tribbles and warp cores dont mix

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dolphins?

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, remember the mystic area on the Ent-D that was supposed to be housing some VERY special form of marine life! ;-)

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*remembers with nostalgia his 1998 joke about the crew of the crashed E-D saucer having lots of tuna to eat*

------------------
"Kif, I have made it with a woman! Inform the crew!"

- Zapp Brannigan

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps