Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Enterprise-B

Author Topic: The Enterprise-B
Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, two things about the E-B:

1) What's that big station behind the Captain's chair (where 'Tuvok' is sitting)? Tactical / Ops, perhaps. Not Comms, or Science, since they're on the edge. Not Helm or Nav, since those are the two at the front. A dedicated XO station, perhaps?

2) The supposed torpedo launchers in the 'neck'. Just look at the model (I recommend the shots in the Sketch Book) - they don't look anything like the known launchers in the secondary hull.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess would be Ops and/or Tactical

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The station was manned by a gray-shirt and a yellow-shirt, so I would assume Tactical & Engineering.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Whips out DVD]

Well, the dialogue was mostly relating various sensor readings and whatnot - Scotty read there that the Lakul's lifesigns were phasing, and they handled transporters from there. The Tuvok clone was reporting structural integrity from there too.

My guess is that it is a Tactical/Ops station, which was doubling up as an Engineering console because Kirk, Chekov and Scotty were sitting in front of the "Propulsion Systems" console. Scotty probably reconfigured teh Nav station as an Engineering console as well, when he took over that position after the previous occupant was exploded.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

[This message has been edited by Mark Nguyen (edited March 29, 2001).]

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that was about what I'd figured. Some kind of Tactical / Ops board. Any thoughts about the 'launchers'?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The square holes in the neck aren't launchers. We saw tugs flying out of them in "Generations".

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The square holes seem to be blocked by some greeblies that might or might not be launchers. They are two-barreled and small-caliber if they really are launchers - but they also look a bit like those "targeting sensors" in the DS9 TM Defiant foldout diagram.

To allow for that workbee-train to exit from the port square in "Generations", the installation would have to swing inwards, away from the flight path. Or perhaps it is actually a cargo crane in itself, and was in the process of loading the workbee with cargo containers until the camera turned in that direction. At that moment, it had finished its work and released the cargo train, making it look as if the train was launched from inside the square opening.

Timo Saloniemi

Nonsuch
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would guess tactical and/or engineering, as the one line of "Tuvok"'s that sticks in my brain was him reporting "hull integrity at [whatever] percent". tactical reports the shield status, so why not the hull? and obviously the ship's frame would be an engineering concern, plus the stations were right in front of the MSD.

on a side note, how is "structural integrity" measured? obviously it has something to do with the SIF fields, but what precisely would it be?

------------------
And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
Love to be
In the arms of all I'm keeping here with me

- Jeff Magnum

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cochranes?

Rikers?? LOL!

Hull integrety at 4.01 nanoRikers errr no that's 1305-E nanoRikers... *all hands abandon ship!* LOL!

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps those square things on the neck are workbee launchers; if Voyagers has them so can the Enterprise-B.

------------------
"When I said to get involved in the gay community, I didn't mean to sleep with everyone in it."
Michael_T

Eclipse
Member # 472

Workbee launchers on Voyager? Que?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Sternbach, once over at rec.arts.startrek.tech said that the little hexagonal 'ports' with the ........... doors - that spirally thingy like the entrance to the Chambers of the Grey Council has a name... anyway they are on the ventral side of the saucer section and they are ports for work bees.

The 'leaf' doors that we see on the Enterprise D and Voyager are cargo bay doors...

I have always wondered about such things with cargo bays and cargo bay doors... infact I hypothesised over at said newsgroup, that I assume that any cargo bay doors that are seen on the hull of the ship can't link directly to what we see on the show... because the cargo bays we see on the show are just like shuttle bays with no doors...

I surmised that these doors actually lead into antechamber sort of areas and a line of tunnels (sort of like large turbolift tunnels) that link the various cargo bays with out having to have big doors in each 'cargo bay'. Also the cargo bay transporter - I assume would be used to transport directly on to whatever would be in these tunnels... like a workbee sled etc. etc. as seen in TMP... then these 'corridors' are large enough for cargo to be moved down and out the opened 'leaf' doors...

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I know that the official blueprints of the USS Enterprise-D show these "leaf doors" opening directly into the cargo bays. Although I think this makes sense, the point is debatable. (As those blueprints aren't so accurate anyway.)

On the other hand, all of the MSD's I've seen of Excelsior-class starships show a conveyor system from the aft cargo bay doors to the cargo bays amidships.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps