Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Cheyenne... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Cheyenne...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah HA! I have found some evidence as to what lies on 'the bottom of the Cheyenne' (cue spooky music)

Anyways... I have sketched a little drawing as to what we KNOW... I speculated on the possible shuttle bay...

Also, we have evidence from that Cheyenne/Springfield pic, showing us that the ventral half of the 'secondary hull' is not as TALL as the dorsal half... (the top half). Look how the saucer rests on the table, if the bottom half was as TALL as the top half it would be pitched over more! This fits in, now with the angle of the lower nacelle pylons, i.e. sketch them at the angle shown and then place the nacelles you won't get as tall-a-bottom-half.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited April 06, 2001).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I dunno. It seems to me that the ship is not pitched at all in the photo with the Chekov. Instead, the center of gravity is somewhere a bit aft from the forward edge of the vertical pylon (because the saucer is just empty plastic while the marker pens are filled with the usual wet sticky stuff?), so the ship rests placidly on her lower nacelles, the saucer perfectly level.

Building asymmetry to the model would be difficult, compared with just leaving the inherently symmetrical parts as they were...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, it doesn't matter, really if the model is tipped forward or not... that was just silly for me to point that out, the real thing to take notice of is the distance between the saucer and the table-top... if the ship was IDENTICAL on the bottom as compared to the top, then the saucer would be much higher up. As you pointed out the nacelles/highlighters are flat with the table-top...

As per my sketch, if you follow the bend of the nacelle pylons and match this with the position of the bottom nacelles, you'll see that the arch down, the same as the top - not opposite, this means that when you extrapolate the line of the pylon to where ever it meets the hull of the ship, the bottom will not be as 'deep' as the top half of the ship.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either the lower pylons curve down, or there's no rounded thingy on the bottom of the secondary hull. Think about it. If the pylons were curving up, and the rounded thingy were there, the ship would be resting on the rounded thingy, not the nacelles.

------------------
"I write messages on money.
It's my own form of social protest.
A letter printed on paper that no one will destroy.
Passed indiscriminantly across race, class, and gender lines
and written in the blood that keeps the beast alive
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter.
and a federal crime.
I hope that someone will find my message one day when they really need it.
Like I do."
-Rage against the Machine

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shudders*

I renew my objection. This is one butt ugly ship. It belongs in the back of the DS9 Tech Manual.

Take the top nacelles off and put a weapons pod there or something, and maybe...

Sorry, I'm feeling slightly hostile right now...

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, you are talking crazy about the difference in top and bottom heights. I built a model that is almost a mirror from top to bottom, and I put it on the table like shown in the picture. It's tilted almost exactly the same. And I built it with straight pylonys, no sloping up or down at all. It looks pretty darn close to me. I don't have a picture yet, but I could try to get one some time soon. I also had a web site displaying my model, but for some reason it's not working now. I guess you'll have to trust me for now.

P.S. In your drawing, the top is WAY to tall. You should pull out a model to get a better idea on it's size.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly.

I scratch-built a Cheyenne, and the top of the vertical pylon (where the torpedo launcher was on the E-D model it was originally) is less than an inch above the bridge. The pod on top of that is approximately the same height as the nacelles. And the pylons are crafted from flat pieces of sheet styrene -- no angle up or down. I repeat: the horizontal pylons are just that -- horizontal and parallel. Bernd's Cheyenne reconstruction page shows all the deductions quite well. Check it out if you haven't already:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/cheyenne.htm

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erick: Your site works for me. A bunch of the Cheyenne pics are missing, but the ones at the bottom are still there...

------------------
"I write messages on money.
It's my own form of social protest.
A letter printed on paper that no one will destroy.
Passed indiscriminantly across race, class, and gender lines
and written in the blood that keeps the beast alive
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter.
and a federal crime.
I hope that someone will find my message one day when they really need it.
Like I do."
-Rage against the Machine

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well, reguarding my 'picture' - its just a quick sketch.

2. The bottom pylons are NOT horizontal, look at that Trading card pic... they join the nacelles on top, and the nacelles aren't too far away from the saucer section...

Also, the ship isn't resting on the rounded section, because like the top, it finishes before the tops/bottoms of the nacelles.

Can't ANYONE see how the bottom nacelle pylons arc DOWN from the nacelle to the hull!?!

------------------

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited April 07, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited April 07, 2001).]

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
andrew, if you go to www.ex-astris-scientia.org and look for the cheyenne reconstruction under "starship articles", you will see the actual cofiguration of the cheyenne using a scientific approach with the current info. the ship is symetrical top to bottom, and the lower pylons DO flare down, but only at the very ends.

--jacob

------------------
"Hi, my name's Locutus, and I'll be your assimilator tonight. Can I interest you in our specials? Super. Well, currently we're offering an arm-replacement tool with extra wiggly-waggly bits on, or, for the more daring among you, not one but two ocular replacements! Terrific. You want fries with that? Ohh, I'm sorry, I've just heard from the chef that fries are off - they're irrelevant, apparently."

-Vogon Poet, March 13, 2001

[This message has been edited by EdipisReks (edited April 07, 2001).]

IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, THAT's a signature, Oedipus Rex!

------------------
"To all Harry-Fans: I meant no disrespect against Harry and have nothing against the stupid little creature. Thanks and enjoy the show."
Nimrod, 04-04-01.

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*blushing*

[This message has been edited by EdipisReks (edited April 07, 2001).]

IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd imagine Lee would have more cause to.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, my site is back up. You can take a look at my symetrical Cheyenne if you like.

www.onlyinla.com/~fructose/models/hopi/hopi.html

Note: The bottom is just for a little excitement.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps