Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Joshua Bell. I need your help

Author Topic: Joshua Bell. I need your help
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On your pictures of your kit-bashed Declaration-class starship I see that the registry number is different than the number on the TOS-era enterprise micro machine. My question is this. How did you change it so that it looks very nice?

------------------
"We have to get drunk immediately."----Gattaca

IP: Logged
Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I log on to check the latest news hereabouts and there's a hologram of Princess Leia repeating "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi..." Or something.

The short answer: Photoshop

That image is heavily doctored - since I was already messing with the background, nacelle glows, the planetscape, etc., I deleted the starship name and tweaked the registry.

I'm not much of a modeller but if I were going to do it in the real world I'd scrape off the existing lettering or paint over it, then draw the new lettering on with a fine-tipped felt marker.

MIB
Ex-Member

ohhhh...YOU CHEATER!!!! hehe j/k The reason I'm asking is that I made a super-simple micro machine kitbash using one ENT-B. It is supposed to be a small survey vessel.

I'm still working on posting some pics of my own STAW kit bashes, but due to the lack of a decent digital camera, I have to take real pictures of my models, get them developed, install the scanner to my new computer, scan the pictures in to my computer ect. ect. You know how it goes. Thanks for the very fas responce!

------------------

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you kitbash your micromachines too?
don't you know they will decrease in value once you
re-arrange their general parts? LOL

thankfully i have an extra of every ship and would wait till i'm 50 and sell them off for.......1 billion dollars
Dr.evil look

Micromaniac
Member # 546

- posted      Profile for Micromaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know you can make a 2 part rubber mold and copy these in either a resin plastic or a low temp metal that way you dont lose the original micromachine and can build an army , navy , fleet or whatever- I have.
P0sitr0nic
Ex-Member

Thanks for the tip Micromaniac..
Now I have visions of a fleet of 100 or so Voyager and Ent-E micromachine replicas, all in clear resin.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're talking about making rubber molds!
How do you do that?

I'm especially interested as I have made some "master models" of TNG communicators and I would love to use them as templates to make molds and then cast more of them in whatever material seems to be most suitable.

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

MIB
Ex-Member

TheF0rce, I only kitbashed one of my micro machines. It was my ENT-B micro machine, bet sence I have 3 of them I didn't think it really mattered.

------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not worried that mine get damaged/destroyed by me because I have literally hundreds of them but thats besides the point. When I try to do kitbash designs such as Ptlomey, Federation, Belknap and Saladin classes, the glue does not stick! I tried model glue, super glue, melting (big mistake, still have a 'mound' of plastic and plain elmers glue. How do you get them to stick?

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Micromaniac
Member # 546

- posted      Profile for Micromaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any good hobby shop has rubber mold making kits - I use GE RTV 11 from an electronics/plumbing shop - it is thin so it captures the details well - costs @ $20 per pint - so one the micromachine size you can make around 3-4 molds per can. From there you can use many different resins or low temp metal to make the parts. Many good sites on the web telling how to do - resin casting.Also all the micromachines are put together with superglue and you are right this polyethylene plastic does not bond well with anything.
MIB
Ex-Member

Matrix, I use crazy glue. (The type that you make sure not to get on your fingers or you'll find your hand stuck to your face. ) It works for me!

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't you assemble the pieces and make a rubber mold of them before they fall apart? Then use the mold to make solid ones...

------------------
"I write messages on money.
It's my own form of social protest.
A letter printed on paper that no one will destroy.
Passed indiscriminantly across race, class, and gender lines
and written in the blood that keeps the beast alive
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter.
and a federal crime.
I hope that someone will find my message one day when they really need it.
Like I do."
-Rage against the Machine

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps