Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Series V set speculation

Author Topic: Series V set speculation
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on the comments in this interview, Series V will have sets in at least three soundstages -- 9, 11 and 17?(whichever one is Planet Hell).
quote:
They have a large number of sets, and they won't all fit on one stage," Sternbach said. "From what I understand, [the 'Planet Hell' cave set] will come down, and any planetside sets will be put up on Stage 9."

(I'm making the assumption that Planet Hell is coming down to make room for more standing sets)

Now, one little trend I've noticed is the fact that standing sets for TV shows are getting bigger.... While we can primarily blame Sorkin for this (the sets for Sports Night and The West Wing must be gigantic) another culprit was the Promenade on DS9, which was pretty damn big. I wonder if Series V will continue the trend to make spaces bigger and more continuous.

While the entire corridor-sickbay-transporter room-engineering-cargo bay as a continuous set thing certainly made for one big structure, the fact that one really couldn't do superfunky(tm) Sorkinesque(tm) tracking of characters from one room to another to another has always made them seem smaller. The fact that we're (unconsciously) so used to the particular bends and intersections probably adds to this. If Series V were to take place on a starship where a conscious effort was made to perhaps put Engineering and sickbay on the same deck we might get to see some some very creative directing with the end result of making the ship seem bigger and more real...

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited April 08, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager made a few tenetive steps in that direction, mostly by having the briefing room, bridge, and ready room all connected so that characters could move from one to the other without cuts. However, I don't think they did this all that often.

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps