Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Defiant model in the Art Institute of Chicago

Author Topic: Defiant model in the Art Institute of Chicago
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you in the Chicago area, the one and only 48x36" (122x91cm) shooting model of the Defiant is on display in the Art Institute of Chicago, as part of the "2001 - building for space travel" exhibition, alongside a 6-foot Okudagram featuring the new DS9TM cutaway and one of the DS9TM deck plans, both of which come from (I believe) "Valiant". Also displayed is the DS9 half-model used for certain shots. Here's a link to the IDIC page where I got part of the info from:
http://members.aol.com/idicpage/2001.html

I asked around a little and found out the real size of the model (48x36"), and also that the exhibition closes October 22, and travels to the Museum of Flight in Seattle where it will be held from December 15, 2001 through May 15, 2002, then to the Museum within the International terminal of san Francisco Airport from July 1, 2002 through the new year, early January 2003. No photos are allowed, unfortunately, but I suppose we know what it looks like already from Star Trek Mechanics.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited April 14, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope it winds up next to the Enterprise no bloody A-B-C or D! at the Smithsonian's National Air & Space Museum ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, crap! I have to go see this now! I've less then an hour outside Chicago.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bring a camera, man!

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er. Folks -- I don't think photography will be allowed. Usually isn't in museums...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you can? When I was at the Smithsonian's National Air & Space Museum I took pictures of the E-nil and the carrier model Enterprise. They didn't kick me out because everyone else was too. But that was over 2 years ago maybe things changed.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe flashes are actually not allowed in ART museums because the bright light can sometimes damage and fade pieces of artwork. That's why most galleries you go to, the lights are usually dim. And why the US Constitution is stored in a room with almost no light at all.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me, or does that "control panel" look like the MSD?

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I mentioned above, no photos are allowed.

That is the MSD indeed, but unless it appeared elsewhere as well, it's the one seen in the Engineering of the Valiant when Jake talks to Nog -- I know because of the deck plan below it, it's exactly what I saw in the episode. I don't know if it's equivalent to the Defiant's original MSD, a modification thereof, or simply the one from the DS9TM. The deck plan on the lower half of the picture looks like one of the DS9TM plans, I could tell you exactly which, but I don't have the plans onhand to check.

Boris

------------------
"@%#@&@#The@#@truth$#$# @#@$@points@#@#to@#@$@# itself@#@$@#@$"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps