Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Court Martial Impulse Engines

Author Topic: Court Martial Impulse Engines
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, with all the talk about going backwards at Impulse, in Court Martial Spock orders "Forward Impulse Engines" to slow their decaying orbit, while Kirk is trying to fix the problems that Finney Had done to the ship.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were they implying here that firing forward-mounted impulse engines to slow down the ship would prevent decay of their orbit? Anything to slow them down would take them into a lower orbit, wouldn't it? You'd think that firing the usual engines in the back (pushing the ship forward) would be more beneficial.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Anything that would slow the ship down would increase the orbital decay, not decrease it.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As with many things nautical, "forward impulse engines" is a command to set the impulse engines to push the ship forward.

One of the little problems I have with Star Trek VI is the "aft thrusters" order when we see the ship start to move forward...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there transcripts to these episodes, to get Spock's actual dialogue?

The picture on the viewscreen was of them falling directly towards the planet... Hmmmmm.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like one of the early Star Trek submarine analogies, like those in Balance of Terror. In that ep, the "phasers" acted like torpedoes and the crew tiptoed around the ship to avoid being heard by the Romulans. This orbital decay sounds like a sub losing buoyancy and sinking.

Re: Transcripts. Yes! That's exactly what I mentioned earlier! It would make searching for dialogue a whole lot easier. By the way, Margaret Clark at the Simon and Schuster website mentioned in an answer to a question about Star Trek script books that all (?) TNG and DS9 episodes were out on disc by their sister company SST. Does anyone know anything more about this?

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orbital decay is most assuredly not an attempt to get some submarine action on. See: Mir.

All the scripts from TNG and DS9 are available on CD here and here, respectively. I believe they're the shooting scripts in both cases.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Cool! Does anyone actually have these discs? From the customer reviews, the search function doesn't seem to work so well.

Anyways, my reference to submarines was about how the producers of Trek seemed to view orbital decay, not how it really is. I was implying that they believed orbital decay was similar to a submarine sinking to the bottom of the ocean, ie, that if you could stop your forward motion, you'd stop sinking.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. I'll have to watch the episode in question again.

As far as the disks go, I've been meaning to get them. Perhaps sometime soon I will.

I think Boris has one or both.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the subject of transcripts has come back up, I'm using my new DVD drive to work on it. I'm int he process of doing "The Galileo Seven" right now. Here's what I have so far.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps