Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Space Seed Deck 1 exits... plus other things. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Space Seed Deck 1 exits... plus other things.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have always assumed that the Enterprise in TOS only had one entry/exit - and that was the turbolift.

While watching Space Seed I noticed that Kahn mentions - after locks out the bridge, and begins to suffocate those on the bridge, that he has also blocked all the exits from the bridge - a plural. So one assumes that there is Jeffery tube access?? to the bridge - or some sort of ladder? where would/could this be located!?!

Space Seed was a VERY good episode. Uhura really shone in this episode too, even though she had little to do. Her whole defiance of Kahn was very... admirable. Something you don't see much of even now in TV shows. Usually the 'girly-girl' will give out - or after a few 'beatings' too... unless their relatively 'butch' or 'trained'. Uhura stands her post. Very Valiant.

They say that - when Kahn has taken over the Enterprise that they leave the Botany Bay behind. I might have missed a few lines at the end, when I was away from the TV a bit, but when they were putting them on Seti Alpha V, did Kirk go back/give Kahn the Bontany Bay? How come we then see it in TWOK...

*cue Chekov* Botany Bay... BOTANY BAY!

Oh also, people complain about Chekov knowing about the events of "Space Seed". So what - he could have been assigned to the late shift, or lower decks etc. I'm sure though, he would have remembered such a major event as the Ship being taken over by someone from 200 years ago.

Also I noticed that Joaquin was listed in the credits at the end - of course not played by Judson Scott?? But at least they kept the character!

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought in ST2 his character was spelt "Joachim"..

As for the "exits" to the bridge, it's long been suspected taht you could easily get off the bridge without using the turbolift if you REALLY wanted to. Franz Joeseph's bridge blueprints denote the turboluft alcove walls to be "kickout panels", which can be snapped out to access a corridor encircling th bridge, which includes a forward gangway down to deck two.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Mr. Scott's Guide, there is an emergency hatch to B-deck just forward of the helm/nav console. Another such hatch could have been present on the original E. God knows we never got to see much of the floor.

Also, if they were really smart, they could have just forced the turbolift doors and escaped that way.

They never said anything remotely implying that the Botany Bay was returned to Kahn in ST:II. Terrell made a remark about cargo modules, and I've always assumed they were of Starfleet issue, otherwise he wouldn't have assumed a Starfleet ship had been marooned there. Also, Chekov was looking at a belt upon which was inscribed "BOTANY BAY" when he made that oh so dramatic comment.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a restraining strap attached to the side of the cargo container -- implying it was the container that was from the S.S. Botany Bay, not just the strap.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your source, Jonah? Or, how can you tell?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...the source would be the scene in question, no?

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, off topic, but Sol: where on Earth did you get that signature phrase???

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

Daniel
Member # 453

In other words, a restraining strap for what? Why was it on the inside? How do you know it was a restraining strap? (As you can tell, my knowledge of cargo manipulation is severely lacking.)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Austin Powers: He got it from the Brunching Shuttlecocks.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of things about those cargo crates:

1) They were bigger than the crates we saw aboard the Enterprise in TMP, but of a similar shape, with a ribbed outer surface in place of the rolling door.

2) They were smaller than the big wedgelike container thingies visible on the Botany Bay exterior.

If they originated from the Botany Bay, they probably had traveled aboard that ship stricken down, since the ship didn't look as if it had internal room for these crates. If they in turn came from aboard the Enterprise, they could have been lying assembled in a cargo hold somewhere (we didn't see the holds in TOS), and simply emptied for this task.

In any case, they probably ended up on the planetary surface with the help of the Enterprise's (cargo) transporters, since we never saw any landing-capable ships or shuttles that could have carried such big crates or even their wall elements in TOS.

Timo Saloniemi

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx TSN!

Timo: They could still have been transported to the surface by some as yet unseen shuttle type, although you're probably right, it does seem rather unlikely.

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, we never saw Cargo Transporters in TOS either. As far as I remember, the Enterprise-nil has ONE transporter.

One transporter. One door on the bridge. I wonder what happened for Starfleet to start laying the massive back-ups we saw in TNG.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given how we sometimes saw differing door colors for the "single" transporter room in TOS, I'd suggest at least two, symmetrically mounted on both sides of the saucer. From there, it's not a big step to the preferred fanfic arrangement of four transporter rooms: one as shown; one opposite the existing room, across the corridor; and a mirrored pair on the other side of the ship.

Why not make use of multiple transporters in storytelling? Let's forget the obvious reason (namely, that there weren't multiple sets to be used), and invent some technobabble. Those transporters could have been the sharpest cutting edge of semi-experimental high tech at the time, so a ship would *have* to have four: one operational, one spare, one being torn down so that the engineers can figure out what went wrong the last time, and one reserved for running experiments to figure out what will go wrong the next time. It's much like the British SSBNs: with sufficiently superhuman effort, one out of four can actually be out at sea performing its job, while the other three undergo repairs or resupply.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just re: the Botany Bay. How come the boarding party on the BB in "Space Seed" could walk about... how come there was gravity!?! There was no artificial gravity in 1990 was there

Also, it also applies to the SS Birdseye from "The Neutral Zone" how come Data and Worf can be walking around on there when there is no Artificial Gravity?

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1996, actually. And the Birdseye could have been launched as late as 2000. Obviously, such technologies don't exist now. However, it has been consistently shown that, in the Trek universe, technology advanced much more quickly than in reality (cryoships in the '90s, transparent aluminum in the '80s, warp drive by the 2160s, which we're probably not going to have). So, in Trek, they could very well have had artificial gravity at that point. Granted, Ares IV (that's right number, yes?) didn't have it. But, maybe that was to save money, or something...

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps