Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Alternate Factor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Alternate Factor
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit of a 'sickening' episode when you think of 1.5 million people just killing themselves in a 'computer' war. BUT, anyway just a few things.

I notice that we hear of a Tri Cobalt Device! It must be pretty powerful, since only one could destroy the entire Enterprise. I wonder if the Federation got this technology of the Eminars, after they maybe made diplomatic relations?

What was with that Ambassador Fox. He looked like a TOS version of a Zakdorn!

Also, we hear of the USS Valiant, which had visited the system 50 years? earlier. Does anyone have a class for this ship? It hasn't been listed as Connie Class has it?

Also you've GOT to love the Female Ensign/Yeoman? in this episode when she was told by Spock to keep the Female prisoner in the 'cell' by all costs! Do we ever get to see this character again? She wasn't the Records officer from Court Martial was she?

What about the Ambassador's aide who beamed down with him, he was 'hit' by the Eminarian's disruptor. And slumped to the ground. Was he supposed to die there, because the Ambassador looks a little concerned, but then just goes off and leaves him there! No more mention.

Also, they named the Eminiarian's weapons 'disruptors'. Was this the first Trek instance of 'disruptor'? The look like the TOS Klingon distruptor (which they were the basis for). I wonder if the Klingons took the idea from them for their own weapons!?!

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited April 15, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The phaser/disruptor change might be along the same lines as the submarine group/U-boat wolf pack. Same thing really, but the bad guys are given names to inspire fear and dislike/hate.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you're talking about "A Taste of Armageddon".

quote:
Do we ever get to see this character again?

Yes, in "The Return of the Archons".

quote:
She wasn't the Records officer from Court Martial was she?

Nope, the records officer was played by Nancy Wong.
Yeoman Tamura was played by Miko Mayama.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited April 15, 2001).]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the Constitution class was introduced around 2245, Valiant couldn't have been a member. Other than Daedalus, there are no canon Starfleet designs or classes before Constitution.

The tricobalt satellite was a virtual weapon that exploded only in a computer simulation. Did they actually build such a device?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

[This message has been edited by Masao (edited April 15, 2001).]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Voyager uses them as demolition charges...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'Oh about the incorrect episode name.

I assume that the Tri-cobalt device DID exist when the two planets waged REAL war, not just 'virtual war'.

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waddle put a tricobalt explosive in a tribble to kill Kirk in Trials and Tribble-ations, IIRC.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao
FYI
"Menagerie I"
Class J Starship

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I�m sorry? Class J starship? Wasn�t that Harry Mudds�s ship in another episode? And we don�t know that�s a starfleet shipdesignation, more likely it is a civilian designation.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either way, we never saw it.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that�s not strictly true. We did see the class J ship, but as the Klingon scout and the Orion ship, we only saw it as a big "blob".

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I was going to post some questions/remarks about the It was definately mentioned as "J Class" ship mentioned in Menagerie 1.
I assume it was an older type ship.
There were a lot of Kids on there that pike was helping out
It had a baffle plate - which is old Fed tech - apparently.

did the script say J Class or could it have been a "Jay Class" !?!

------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn! I hate being wrong!

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reistries suggest that the Oberth and Antares are older than the Connie, too...

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Registries, smegistries! Bah!

Do you mean the "Charlie X" Antares? Has a registry been established for her?

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps