Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Miranda class frigate vs Avenger class frigate?

Author Topic: Miranda class frigate vs Avenger class frigate?
[email protected]
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently bought a set of Avenger class frigate blueprints and after some comparasion using the pullout of the Miranda in the Star Trek Magazine I can't find any differences between the Avenger or Miranda.
Does anybody have an opinion as to why these two ships would look so much alike as to be twins?
I know that one(Miranda)is canon and the Avenger is not!

JDW

------------------

IP: Logged
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the reason is that the "official" name "Miranda" for this class of ships wasn't introduced until TNG went on the air. However, after Reliant showed up in STII, fans assigned it to the Avenger class.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. So the (non-canon) story goes, the Avenger was the first ship to be constructed under that construction contract, and the Miranda was a line introduced much later. Read the history sheet on the plans, it goes into much more detail about it.

There were only a few minor inconsistancies between what Star Trek: The Magazine printed, what the Avenger plans show, and what the ship actually looks like.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. After seeing STII, some fans got really excited and constructed what we now know as the Avenger class schematics from memory, presumably after some repeat viewings. The schematics for the Avenger class have remained unchanged for some 20 odd years.

Now, if you hop over to the SSD, you'll note that there are differences between the Avenger and Miranda classes. However, ST:TM cheaped out on the Miranda class article and used 20 year old schematics! These people really need to get their act together.

------------------
"The truth is usually just an excuse for lack of imagination."
- Garak, "Improbable Cause"

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...
I assume these blueprints are Mike Rupprecht's ( http://members.aol.com/FH1860 ). Basically, the name "Avenger" came from the Reliant's designers long before Paramount used the term "Miranda", and in the opinion of a lot of Treknologists, there is room for both classes - there's a lot of differences, such as the use of Mirandas sans roll bar, and the smaller crew size quoted.
It's non-canon but IMHO it's pretty good. Best set of fan blueprints I've seen since Franz Joseph's Enterprise!

------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite all the blatant errors in FJ's offering...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Avenger class was a more rounded warp pylon and has a thicker torpedo pod then the Miranda. The Miranda class is supposed to be a more 'advanced' version by slight alterations in the basic design from dilithium decay.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you referring to the "Wright-Corder" specifications that are mentioned in the Avenger deckplans and Ships of the Star Fleet? If so, the deal is this. The rounded version was supposed to give better warp dynamics and provided slightly better decay rates, but the maintenance for the layout proved to be more hazardous than on the original configuration. Therefore the Wright-Corder design specifications were shelved.
Starbuck
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, that's the deal all right
And hey, the Franz Joseph deckplans may not have been canon (I haven't the slightest clue about any errors) but they fueled my imagination... and they're one of the best loved items in my collection.

Having said that, Mike Rupprecht is going to be putting out Enterprise-refit and Enterprise-A deckplan sets to go along with the Avenger/Miranda ones, and Alex Rosenzweig is hip-deep in the "Avenger Tech Manual"...

------------------

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually have a set of Avenger Class blueprints that came from a different source. Got them almost 10 years ago out of the back of a Star Trek magazine. They have a separate sheet that details a weird looking shuttle/warp sled cross with lots of information. They were supposed to be some type of fighter style shuttle craft.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those could be the 'Killer Bee',a kitbash of the Work Bee which is canon. You'll see them in Star Trek 1 and Ds9. On the other hand because I don't have it on me right now, I don't exactly remember what was on it (I lost it) it could be another kitbash of that Vulcan sled in Star Trek 1.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shipbuilder: Scans of the workbee-variant?
As to Franz Josephs deckplans, they should be considered canon. They have actually appeared onscreen!

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep that's the ones...Killer Bees. They even have a cool logo plastered on the sides. It uses the work pod but mounts a massive twin spire shaped undercarriage that is apparaently some sort of warp drive. Its been a while since I looked at those plans and they are securely packed away at the moment. Scanner's busted but I may try to dig up the info next time visiting the folks.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps