Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The ending of "Author, Author"-spoilers

Author Topic: The ending of "Author, Author"-spoilers
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

In the ending of this episode, we see an asteriod. This asteriod is the source of dilithium. The miners are EMH 1s. Can holograms mine dilithium? (I would have preferred to see a Starfleet waste barge.)

Other points-how many ships were in the ending? I know that there was an Excelsior in the background.

I didn't like the ending. This is superflous for I feel that the producers are not going to do follow-up. $.02

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the mining company set up holoemitters all around the asteroid.

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Dan Stack
Member # 516

- posted      Profile for Dan Stack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understood the point they were trying to get across at the end, but it fell a little flat. First, if I were to have holograms mining dilithium, I don't know if I'd be using 'old Doc Zimmerman as my template. Also, there's the issue of holoemitters and computer soace - there was room for only one doctor program on Voyager and without his mobile emitter, is restricted to sickbay. I can see the computer storage being mitigaged by the fact that a mining hologram is probably less sophisticated than a doctor, but the emitter issue seems rather hard to get around. More believable in such an application would be the use of robots, but that would probably get in the way of the point theu were trying to make...
ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I have a simpler explaination. The people of Starfleet, even after so many years of claimed innocence and of trying to distance themselves from their own sordid past, are still - at the core - ASSHOLES.

I mean, it makes for good drama, but we have corrupt admirals left and right, people who want to dissassemble Data and duplicate him to make slaves, etc... So much for lofty Starfleet ideology.

If you ask me, the only reason for the last scene was to differentiate this ep from "The Measure of a Man" from TNG. They never got the chance to make a bunch of Datas, but they already had the complex EMH templates and had no further use for them on starships as doctors. So we get to see that humans have not evolved so much as they'd like us to think. I know it was only 20 minutes of the episode, at the end, but I'm surprised the judge even considered the case - seems to me that the Doctor has already been established as an anomaly, and a person, even to Starfleet at home. Voyager has been in contact for a while, now, and yet the publisher tried to take advantage of him so easily.

Now, why anyone thinks a pick-axe is an efficient means of extracting dilithium, you've got me...! *L*

Only thing I'm worried about is that if unchecked, the EMHs could run amuck, hating organics (esp. Voyager's crew) as much as the ones from the two-parter, "Flesh and Blood." Maybe even on the scale of a Federation-wide civil war...

~ Jason :-)

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not too pleased with the episode as a whole.

This ending was way over the top. I can see one-maybe even two-of the EMH-1s 'supplementing' a mining crew. But not an entire asteroid covered in them.

And it is ludicrous for the writer's to imply the Mark-1's could have developed themselves in a way to even appreciate a holo novel. So forget the concept of a holo-rebellion. It would never happen.

------------------
Purrr...

IP: Logged
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And other than Robert Picardo's patented frown multiplied by about twenty holograms, they certainly didn't seem to me to be in any sort of rebellious state of mind.

Of course I'm not advocating what Starfleet has done with them. As far as I'm concerned, it's flat-out slavery. In Broht's mind, the Doctor and all holograms like him have no more sentience or rights than a replicator. But it's been proven in Star Trek time and time again that a sophisticated enough hologram will develop sentience at least on par with Data. And the fact that these EMH's are still mining dilithium four months after Voyager's presumed return to Earth presupposes that Starfleet has still adopted Broht's mindset regarding holograms.

------------------
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the subtitle was just "4 months later"? I didn't place it after Voyager returned.

------------------
Purrr...

IP: Logged
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I was basing it on the fact that the episode takes place a few weeks before the final episode, in which the ship might or might not return to Earth. I'm guessing that the scene took place anywhere from three to four months after Voyager "returns."

------------------

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am now totally lost! What are you folks talking about here? A scene 4 months after Voyager gets home!? What!? When!?
We've just seen Equinox, pt 2 here in the UK - could someone post a brief description as to what is actually being discussed for this underprivileged UK Star Trek fan who only has access to BBC2 and not Sky or Digital TV?

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are talking about an episode of Voyager that just aired over in the US where it's just around 5 new episodes left. If you had read the tread title, you would know there were going to be spoilers discussed for everyone else.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHY does everyone (almost everyone) in this forum insist on jumping down the throats of the new guys? Huh? What's up with that?

In any case, akb1979, if you're only at Equinox Part II, then you're pretty far behind where we are. We here in the US have five episodes left until Voyager completes its seven year run.

The episode ending we're talking about is that of "Author, Author," sixth to last episode in the series. I don't know if you WANT to know what's going on though, 'cause it'll spoil the episode for you. Suffice to say, it's similar to TNG's "Measure of a Man" (which I have never seen).

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'OH! I know, I know! I clicked on the wrong link by mistake and decided to have a read anyways. Besides, the title caught my attention.

Thanks for sticking up for me Daniel, I'm new to all this!

As for being soooo far behind you in the USA, it's the BBC's fault! They consider snooker, tennis, golf and other sports more important than Star Trek. It's not fair. I now have to wait 3 weeks to see the next DS9 and Voyager episodes (the one after the Seige at Ar-558 and Equinox, pt 2). (Already rented DS9 series 7, but I'd like to record and keep them on my primative VHS!

Plus they are so tight with the money that they don't buy the rights to air it until you've started the second or third season or so. Malcolm in the Middle has just started here - you're in the second season apparently (for example).

Anyways, I shall be more careful in the future!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, a lot of the US stations like to replace Trek w/ sports, too. Canada as well, I believe.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologize if I sounded a little mean to you. That wasn't my intention at all.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could anyone post the caption that we saw in the asteroid scene? I was so busy looking at the ships I didn't get a chance to read it...

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps