Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Why an Oberth at Wolf 359? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why an Oberth at Wolf 359?
Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching Emissary a few days ago and noticed that during Sisko's time in his messy quarters, there was an Oberth-class starship outside the window. Granted, this ship took one, maybe two hits, and was vaped by the cube.

My question is this: Why did Starfleet have an Oberth at the Battle of Wolf 359 (don't tell me I already asked this in the subject line)? It's a science vessel! It's for research, not combat! What was SF thinking.

------------------
"Asteroids do not concern me, Admrial. I want that ship, not excuses."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is also used as a specialized cargo carrier, technical transport. It could have been making a delivery of weapons that were being worked on at UP and an off loading error cost them the ship. Bad timing, or they thought the E-D would stop the Borg before hand, so they lolligagged....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My line of reasoning was that since they needed every ship in the area, and an Oberth was one of those ships, she was sent into combat. It's better to have one extra ship than none at all, even though she may not be able to do much.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another question-
why is the Oberth moving in a parallel direction to the cube, presenting the starship's port side to the weapons of the Borg?

The Oberth class starship is hit by a single beam on the port side, somewhere between the warp nacelle and the connecting pylon.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, random chance?

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RUN AWAY!! RUN AWAY!!

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there could be several reasons

1. Its a ship close by.
2. It might be housing an 'experimental weapon'?
3. It was there for primarily ramming reasons.

4. It could also show us the state of the Federation at the time.

a. It could show that at the time - things had been relatively peaceful (which they had) and that a majority of Federation ships were out there... way out there exploring (like the Olympia) It was lucky that the Enterprise - which was on its way 'out there' got called back to Earth in Season 1 and had Romulan and Klingon matters to attend to, which allowed it to be 'close by' when the Borg finally arrived.

b. Maybe the 'fleet' that Shelby?? Mentioned about getting back up to full strength is a 'reserve' fleet that is to deal with primarily 'core world' matters, and that for so long there hand been any deep penetrations into the heart of the Federation that it had Oberths assigned to a 'core world fleet'. After BOBW, all the ships started coming back 'home'. PLUS newer ships were built AND older ships were brought out of retirement and 'experimental ships' were back on the agenda. I.e. the Norways/Defiants etc.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I read somewhere that an Oberth's standard armament is two light phasers for navigational debris clearing. Maybe in one of the William Shatner books.

------------------
"Asteroids do not concern me, Admrial. I want that ship, not excuses."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Core world fleet? That makes sense, since only 40 ships were present in a few hours notice. Then in DS9, starfleet was able to mass a fleet of over 600 ships.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This goes to Starships. You'll find it there.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In VOY: "Infinite Regress" Seven assumed the personality of a woman who was going to meet her son, officer on the Melbourne(?), at Wolf 359. The last thing she said was that they got into the attack (and she was obviously assimiliated). I am quite sure that the Oberth (U.S.S. Bonestell) must have been her transport ship - not that I think the writers were that smart too.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

[This message has been edited by Bernd (edited April 23, 2001).]

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think they're are plenty of oberths at the second battle of 001 in first contact

i mean its life and death-every ship counts--in the end that one little ship may just make a difference---not really against the borg but it just may....

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't really need to be in a big Akira to order "RAMMING SPEED!"

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one way of putting it.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silly Oberth, trix are for kids

------------------
Signatures are for losers

[This message has been edited by USS Vanguard (edited April 23, 2001).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps