Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Info from "Friendship One" (spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Info from "Friendship One" (spoilers)
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heard a few tidbits of interesting technical information throughout the show...

Voyager's emergency crew capacity is around 320 extra people based on the 17 trips for 5,500 people.

The Phoenix most probably did have a type of antimatter based warp drive due to the short timeframe between the Phoenix and Friendship 1 and we know the probe had antimatter based drives.

I wonder how big the probe was supposed to be? Paris makes a comment he's going to store it in the Delta Flyer's cargo compartment, but I'm assuming he meant whatever pieces he found. I got the impression, but not sure that it would have to be roughly the size of the Phoenix, I doubt they had miniaturzied the warp technology down to a small size within only 4 years.

Anybody got any other takes on what was said?

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since they had the foresight to take those transporter boosters along, I think the intent was to beam Friendship One aboard Voyager ... and not onto the Delta Flyer.

The extra-personnel capacity of Voyager seems unrealistic to me. I don't think the Federation designs ships which can't be used for large-scale evacuations -- never knowing what class starship could be where at any given time, you'd want each ship to be able to move as many people as possible. When you consider the crew doubling, tripling, or quadrupling up in quarters, and transfering the cargo bays, shuttle bays, etcetra, into refuge "camps" ... I find that number ridiculously small, actually, especially given Voyager relatively small crew size.

I would guess the Vulcans helped Earth out with the antimatter. Of course, how was Cochrane's Phoenix powered? Did he use anti-matter?

Another Kirk reference!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 26, 2001).]

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the transport boosters were because of the radiation interference (did they quote this?) And Paris' comment was specifically "to the Delta Flyer." We did see it burn up in the atmosphere so I guess there wouldn't be that much intact anyway (except for the crazy titanium music box

Jeff K "I would guess the Vulcans helped Earth out with the antimatter. Of course, how was Phoenix powered? Did he use anti-matter?" That was sort of my point in my original post...assuming the short timeframe between Phoenix and Friendship 1 and the similarity in design, it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to assume the Phoenix was antimatter powered.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they brought the transporter boosters in case more of Friendship One was around then they thought? If they were going to beam it aboard Voyager, they'd need the boosters, right?

"Damn, I thought we'd only have a few scraps..."

"Looks like we'll have something to fill the shuttle-bay now..."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 26, 2001).]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only 320 people? Perhaps they need to bring lots of cargo or something... 320 + 146 = 466, just a mite over the E-nil - and Voyager has much more volume, of course.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course there's the "conveniently forgotten technology from last week" syndrome. Given stasis tech shown in "Unnatural Selection" [TNG], Voyager should have been able to freeze the survivors and stack them up like logs in the shuttle bay.

I agree that "Friendship One" is basically the nail in the coffin for any theory that antimatter drives weren't used until much later - e.g. my theory that "breaking the time barrier" means replacing a W<3 fusion-plasma drive with a W>3-capable antimatter drive.

Oh well, that's life. Gotta update some pages.

[This message has been edited by Joshua Bell (edited April 26, 2001).]

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would that have moved that planet's population if Voyager were...a galaxy (5000 people) or soverign (5000+?) class?

I shudder to think what else Voyager would have gotten into if it were a plus size starship.

------------------
"Asteroids do not concern me, Admrial. I want that ship, not excuses."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall the temporal coordinates for First Contact, but the ability to generate (and contain) small amounts of antimatter isn't too hard to believe.

After all, the Phoenix was only going at Warp 1 for a few seconds. When I have the time (and if I can get access to the mass figures for the Phoenix), I will calculate the amount of antimatter needed (it's a fairly easy equation). Could someone get the exact amount of time the ship was in warp? Does anyone (some of you must know structural engineering) know the mass/volume ratio for titanium?

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Only 320 people? Perhaps they need to bring lots of cargo or something... 320 + 146 = 466, just a mite over the E-nil - and Voyager has much more volume, of course.

Voyager isn't that much biggerthan the Ent-nil. It is slightly longer, but it is also very flat.

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's mostly because of the lack of a neck section. Voyager more than makes up for this with its lateral hull shape - compared to the Connie, Intrepids are disgustingly plump.

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem isn't that Cochrane didn't have access to anitmatter. The problem is that he didn't have access to dilithium. Without it, he couldn't regulate the reaction, and... KABLAMMO!!!

I always figured the Vulcans had dilithium, so they introduced us to it and all Earth warpships after the Phoenix were M/A-powered.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

Treknophyle,

The density of Ti6-Al-4V titanium (common aerospace Ti) is 4.43 g/cc or 276.5 lb/ft^3. But keep in mind, the forward section of the Phoenix was the titanium portion. The Titan rocket body was probably composites and aluminum. I suppose you could find a Titan (wasn't it supposed to be a Titan rocket body?) weight and add the forward section of the Phoenix, still doesn't account for the weight of the warp drive tho.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's OT, but here's a comparison of the Intrepid and the Constitution. The Intrepid is indeed quite a bit bigger. The primary hull is larger (taller, thicker) and the secondary hull is longer.

About the AM-engine, perhaps it was built with cooperation of the Vulcans or something like that.

Unfortunately, this is just one more reason why I fear that a prequel series will be the death of Trek.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're not talking volume here people, we're talking the limits of the life-support system. This is a ship that presumably still has the energy shortage that restricts matter replication, they can't have inexhaustible life-support capacity.

------------------
"It strikes me that there are enough episodes of the Simpsons that people could speak entirely in Simpsonese, using references from the show to explain or describe an endless series of situations. Nelson and Apu . . . at Tinagra.

But now I�ve brought Star Trek into it again, haven�t I. Sorry."

- James Lileks, 09/04/2001

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I had thought it generally accepted that over the last couple of years, the energy shortage had become negligible. When was the last time anyone even mentioned replicator rations? Neelix still cooks, but I suspect it's as much to give him something to do as to compliment the replicator's standard menu.

I remember reading a producer's report somewhere that they'd deliberately stopped worrying about Voyager's enerfy/food/logistics situation, as they'd generally grown tired of it (pretty much after "Demon", when they refueled). Plus, (friendly) high-tech civilizations abound over the last few years, unlike the wackbard species they first ran into. It'd be much easier to trade or share stuff with Voyager if it didn't matter as much technologically speaking.

Anyway, with this being so I'd think that Voyager should be at near-peak performance. The low passenger count is evidence against this, of course, but given the lack of evidence in recent times it's less substantive in my book, and just another example of writing without backing it up like we would.

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

[This message has been edited by Mark Nguyen (edited April 26, 2001).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps