Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Jackill's has some new books in progress

Author Topic: Jackill's has some new books in progress
Zor Prime
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out Jackill's site. http://www.jackill.com
A pre classic trek era book, and updated versions of his 1-3 books.

IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's prety cool... But does that mean I should try to sell my current volumes on eBay to make rooms for the updates..?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark: Sell them. Didn't someone mention that they paid a ridiculous amount for one on Ebay recently. Once the revised editions come out, you'll be out of luck.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nahh - hang on to them. I use mine for reference, enjoyment, and imspiration.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All good reasons - and that's exactly what I use mine for. However, seeing as how new and improved versions wil soon be available, and how I'm a grad student with no funding, it just may be the right thing to do.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack, Mark, don't sell them! Remember the lesson you learned when you sold me your copy of Dymamics? :-)

I can't believe Jackill is releasing a new book and updates! I'm so excited...does anyone have his email address? I used to have it a few years back, but have lost it since. His books are without a doubt my favorites, right up there with the Guenther and Schmidt collections!

We should all make an effort to keep each other apprised of these forthcoming books!

Thanks,

Lance

------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I have some "Jackill's Data Readouts", I have never seen one of these books you people are talking about. I guess they're good?

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Zor Prime
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they are good. A bit cluttered, but full of nice info and pretty pictures.
I saw the technical readouts at a convention but never got any. He even did some B5 stuff if I remember correctly. Gosh, I'd love to see them again.
"Jackill" did an early book in 1992 or so that had Star trek and Star Wars light crafts, Battlestar Galactica stuff in it too.
Then he made 3 Trek books full of old and new designs, including a nice version of Kobayashi Maru.
They are all movie designs. No TNG stuff, unless you count Enterprise B.

IP: Logged
Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damned straight they're good, my man. I bought an original verion of volume 2 at a book store a few years ago, and couldn't believe the detail put into the Movie Era vessels illustrated therein. Since then, I have painstakingly collected all three revised volumes from eBay.com. I love Jackill's work, and consider his publications the very best in Treknology Fandom. If you like Guenther's (Mastercomm) Ships of the Starfleet series (volume one and two), you'll love Jackill's books.

Try hunting for them in book stores, card shops, conventions, or eBay.com.

Lance http://thetrekker.homestead.com

------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't agree more. We chatted on the phone some time ago (decades+), and my hat is off to him in terms of self-consistency, quality and sheer production.

His books share an honored place in my collection.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I had a few minor gripes about Jackill's stuff.

Firstly, the ships' names. All-Terran, all the time. And almost always last names which seemed to have been picked largely at random out of a telephone book or something.

Second, everything in the later volumes had recycled names. Every ship that had been named was on the same list (all the cruisers were cruisers again, in essentially the exact same order), with a -B on the end of it.

Thirdly, it seemed as though half the Federation ships carried cloaking devices.

Other than that, though, they were just dandy.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts exactly, First.

Although to be fair, I DID steal a couple of his classes for incorporation into my universe, but I think I only stole the names for them...& the design for only 1, the Swiften-class. But the rest of the names make great filler for tankers & cargo carriers.

------------------
"I�ll never fall in the arms of someone sincere
I fall just the same
And like before, it's just too hard."
---Kim Leaman, "Sincere"

Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

I agree with your gripes, certainly. The names really are not very inventive. However, all the classes and the number of ships I have adopted into "my universe", how my only little view on how the Fleet of 2290's looks, which includes all Mastercomm, Schmidt, and Jackill ships.

Other than the names, I also discount only two classes, the Lobo Class Carrier, which is too damned ugly; the Oriskany Class, an ungly rendition of the Coronado; and the Hollingsworth Class Penetration Cruiser...the name and shape of the ship seem almost intentionally humorous.

So, to sum it up, other than the ship names, which I simply ignore and pretend they are more glamorous (Sheffield, Antiedam, Bunker Hill, Ironclad, Sierra, Beowulf, Explorer, Pioneer, etc), and the three classes I mentioned, Jackill's Star Fleet Reference Manuals totally are a must for any collector.

:-)

I can't wait for the new releases....

Lance

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps