Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warp acceleration and inertial damping (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Warp acceleration and inertial damping
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so relativity says that matter can't travel at the speed of light. You can go faster or slower, but not exactly at it. As I understand the general concept of warp drive, it allows you to jump past C without actually hitting it. Now if acceleration is delta-v over time, and time is zero, wouldn't that make acceleration infinite, if you're jumping from one speed to another without passing through the intervening speeds? Boy, that is one HECK of a damping field!

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as a ship jumps to warp, it's not technically "accelerating". The space around it is moving, the ship is just sitting there. The ship is moving relative to everything else but the space around it, so would its real velocity be zero? At least, that's what the voices tells me.

------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The concept behind today's "warp drive" theories (and, I expect, Trek's) is that matter and energy cannot move faster than c, relative to the space around it, but space can move faster than c, relative to the space around it. So, rather than moving yourself, you make a bubble of space around you move beyond light-speed. Therefore, you stay stationary w/ respect to the bubble of space, and the bubble moves past c, which is allowable, since it's just space, not matter or energy.

------------------
Lister: "Cat, what are you doing?"
Cat: "I'm courting."
Lister: "Courting who?"
Cat: "Whoever shows up!"
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. I'm probably going to change my sig if I see one more post asking about acceleration effects when a ship goes to warp.

*ahem*

Warp drive is a non-Newtonian form of propulsion. The drive system "warps" space past the subspace bubble formed around the ship. The more rapidly the coils fire, the more rapidly space "slips" past. Inside the subspace field, the ship is traveling relative to itself and however much of "reality" was enclosed within the subspace bubble at the same speed it was when the warp drive was engaged. No inertial effects are involved, ergo no intertial damping is needed.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However...there was a Voyager ep where Paris says, "The ship might survive the jump to warp, but without intertial damping, we'd all be stains on the back wall." (or something close). I don't remember what ep it was.

I don't know how this figures into the whole equation...

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
time is zero

Time was not zero IIRC, but Planck-time. The smallest bit of measurable time (I wonder how they figured that out).

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
somebody really quick with a stop watch with really little increments....

Isn't it the time is takes an atom to quiver side to side or some such thing???

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I believe that's correct Ritten. Since time can only be measured if something changes, the smallest amount of measurable time would be the fastest change we can measure: the vibration of a certain atom (I don't remember which one though).

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time clocks in used, or that have been used, are mercury ion and cesium.
US Naval Observatory (dang, we even have our hands in time... )

The Planck time is the time it would take a photon travelling at the speed of light
to across a distance equal to the Planck length. This is the �quantum of time�, the
smallest measurement of time that has any meaning, and is equal to 10-43
seconds. No smaller division of time has any meaning. With in the framework of
the laws of physics as we understand them today, we can say only that the
universe came into existence when it already had an age of 10-43 seconds.
PhysLink

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never understood why one of the first things to go ofline in a battle are the inertial dampners... It's very critical to have them offline, so you'd think it have a good failsafe build in, or at least a backup...

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may not need inertial dampeners for warp, but you DO need them for impulse. So there.

P.S. You'd think they'd have invented effective breakers too, but noooo. We have warp drive, nuclear fusion, transporters, replicators, deflectors, but no breakers. Makes lots of sense to me. Yep.

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited May 10, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Redundancy on 'Fleet ships SUCKS.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

James Fox
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My opinion on the 'shaking around' during battle is that if they don't *say* the inertial dampeners are down, they are not down, and the shaking results from the dampeners being 'surprised' by the sudden jolt you get from a weapon.

Also, I there seems to be *some* connection between intertial dampeners and warp drive: haven't we seen refrences to bad things happening on ships that have thier dampers when exiting warp?

My vague personal idea would be that something about warp drives makes the ship vibrate, perhaps from multiple subspace fileds beings formed and bouncing off each other. A sudden exit from warp would induce pretty powerful vibrations, or something...

IP: Logged
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Aban, you should know better than to quote Voyager when it comes to technical stuff... ;-)

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, don't quote Voy! ;-) (Is it even considered "canon" by us?) ;-)))

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps