Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS K.E. Tsiolkovsky

Author Topic: USS K.E. Tsiolkovsky
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the dedication plate for the USS Tsiolkovsky, the ship's name is K.E. Tsiolkovsky. Tsiolkovsky's name was Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky. So, my question is, is the name of the ship from "The Naked Now" a. USS Tsiolkovsky or b. USS K.E. Tsiolkovsky?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. The plaque also said that the ship was launched from Baikonur Cosmodrome, Soviet Union, making it somewhat off-the-wall, if you'll excuse the utterly awful dedication plaque joke.

Are you sure the KE isn't just something to do with a Cyrillic representation of USS or SS?

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a search for Tsiolkovsky's name on the internet. I got his name to be: Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky (K.E. Tsiolkovsky).

There are several pecularities with the starship's name. The first is the discussion of this thread. Another is the name prefix. In the episode, Capt. Picard identifies the ship as S.S. Tsiolkovsky, not U.S.S. Tsiolkovsky.

For the Voyager fans, this must be nice knowing that an earlier Star Trek series flubbed a name prefix before the Raven.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing as the ded plaque only reads "K.E. Tsiolkovski", it is clearly not U.S.S.
OTOH, it does have a Starfleet logo. Maybe it was built by Starfleet?

So, the ship is called simply (K.E.) Tsiolkovsky, possibly only officially registered as the *S.S* K.E. Tsiolkovsky.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIR the Raven's dedplaque said "The Raven" but hull marks said S.S. Raven.

Well, the T. had a Starfleet crew and the Starfleet emblem on the dedplaque, so I think it's a Starfleet vessel.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it was built and crewed by SF, but it wasn't officially a SF-registered ship. And, if the Raven didn't have an "SS" or "USS" on its plaque, we can assume the Tsiolkovskiy (isn't that the correct spelling?) was the same. Therefore, it would actually be "SS K. E. Tsiolkovskiy", but everyone just refered to it as "SS Tsiolkovskiy" for short.

The registry wasn't actually visible anywhere, was it? If it was, that screws everything up...

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although this is my opinion, I tend to think that some old starships which are decommissioned by starfleet continue to operate as non-registered vessels. Being an Oberth class it was becoming fairly old, so it could've been 'de-listed' from the fleet hence becoming the SS Tsiolkovsky, although it would've originally have had the prefix USS Tsiolkovsky. The same could be said for the Raven, and some Antares Class ships which carry the prefix NAR or SS. Being antiquated they're not listed ships, and could be available for charter and general use by the scientific community, and not generally operated by Starfleet. This is only one idea though...

OTOH, the Tsiolkovsky had a reg of NCC 53911, which doesn't inticate a very great age.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the ship was built on the 2340's but Starfleet had too many of them to be useful so they lent it to a private firm.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps