Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Doc's Communicator (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Doc's Communicator
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Throughout the series we always saw his communicator pin w/ him when he turned on and off, meaning that it was a holographic project like the rest of him. My question is this: if holograms are (and they are) really just light and forcefields, then how can a subspace transmitter/recieiver/locator/thingamajob which must be made of special components in a special order. Maybe they could be made with replicators (have we ever seen it done?) but surely holographic projectors couldn't make it functionable with just contained light.

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would the communicator need to actually work? He may LOOK like he's talking into it or taping it and whatnot, but since he's a computer program, he's just talking through the computer right off the bat.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And when he's on an away mission like the Killing Game episode, all comm functions are routed through the holo-emitter.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've long queried the viability of artificially created holographic technology. There has been some contradictory information on this. But in a number of respects we have had instances when complex mechanical/electronic devices have been holographically produced. Such examples are Geordi's make-shift lab in Booby Trap, and Barclays interface array to the ship's computer in The Nth Degree.

It is confusing, and does seem to contradict what we've been led to believe about holographic technology. Another example of this was the machine gun used by Picard on the Ent-E holodeck in First Contact. He says that without the safety protocols in place even a holographic bullet can kill.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the doc's program has some funky forcefield around the actual light component of his persona that makes him "physical;" Picard's bullets could indeed be similar solid holograms rather than replicated lumps of lead.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, things on the Holodeck are 'real' as in the forcefields/photonic energy makes the real thing... its that when there is no powere - no real things...

Food etc, and possible consumables I assume are replicated, seeing as if you ate anything and then stepped off the holodeck (and if you'd been in there long enough for digestion to take place) your body would break down. I think 'simple mechanical' things like communicators and parts making up bigger machines could easily be made functional and/or be replicated. I don't think we'd see a Data being able to be replicated, nor a complete human being... too complex.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else notice that in a recent ep, we actually saw Seven's CLOTHING be replaced by a hologram? Now how'd it do that? Beam her clothes off of her and replace them with a replicated pattern?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that sort of thing has been done since ST:FC, where the costumes of Picard and Lily were holographic...

The most reasonable explanation is that holodecks are capable of holographically "masking" over what the person is wearing, which in Seven's case in "Human Error" included optically creating bare skin where her implants normally were, and in ST:FC included optically creating bare skin where, erm, Lily's shirt was.

Interestingly, such techniques were never used in TNG or DS9's run (characters dressed up in their holodeck costumes before going into the holodeck/suite) nor in "The Killing Game" where Seven's implants were still visible. I'd imagine that the Klingonization of Neelix and Janeway in that episode was holographic rather than surgical, and Torres' pregnant belly was basically said outright to be a holodeck contruct, although it apparently had mass (might there be a replicated weight source tucked in there somewhere?)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, assuming that the holodeck does use replication for some objects, it's possible that it stored the patterns for their clothes, replaced them w/ the new ones, then replicated the originals when they left.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Well the transporter explanation could potentially explain clothes, but not the way Seven's implants were masked over.

Besides, if there was a sudden power outage onboard, it might make for a rather embaressing situation

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the "holographic" clothes would be replicated, not just holograms...
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rather wonder about Odo's communicator which is, as we have seen several times, a part of Odo. So he can't imitate human faces, but a fully functional subspace transmitter is no problem?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Odo could just hold the Communicator within his 'self'...

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, we've seen it removed, as well as melting into a wall.

What if Odo's shape-shifting ability not only applies to him, but to those things contained within him? We know he has to phase out of existace partially to alter his mass as he does.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Ahhh, but if we've seen it REMOVED from him - then, well it can't be made of founder-material - other wise it'd revert back to its gelatinous state.

So why can't he still hold it with-in his 'body' even when 'on a wall' it could be in him... although him turning into the sparkley stuff in that Laas episode... 'Chimera' - would have just had it drop onto the floor!?!

So - yeah, maybe he does stick it in that 'subspace pocket'

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps