Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Bridges! Glorious, Glorious Bridges! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bridges! Glorious, Glorious Bridges!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we're on the subjects of bridges, I'd like to mention that what we saw of the Odyssey's bridge is pretty damned cool. I saw "The Jem'Hadar" for the first time tonight (I know, I know; I suck ) and I really liked what I saw. I wonder what set they used...?

PS - Mark, check your PMs...

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: Mr. Christopher ]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PMs..? Prime Ministers? I mean, I Am Canadian and all that, but what do my country's politics have to do with this topic?

Anyway, "The Jem'Haddar" was on SPACE reruns today, which is where I suspect you saw the Oddysey. Great battle, eh? The Big O's bridge was constructed with the aft third or so of the TOS movie bridge (used for the E-A, Excelsior et.al.). It uses TNG LCARS on the standard set, adds that nifty rail, and puts the XO chair *behind* the CO chair. I ought to do a sketch sometime..

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Big O? So its roof was late in being completed and chunks fall off every so often?

(obscure Canadian joke)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM -> Private Messages. One can tell you don't update your profile often...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah.. I see. But my sig and caption are too cool to be changed, you see. So I don't got here often. Epxect a reply in your mailbox, Fabrux.

Woo hoo! My clan is in the Star Trek legacy now!

Mark

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Tah-dah! Here are those scans. Apologies for the resolution; the scanner's a bit wonky today. I was wondering if someone could put these pictures on their website, so I won't have to pester my ISP guy with this? Thanks.

http://www.thepurplebuffalo.net/~mark/trek-temp/

Anyway, check 'em out. I'm a real fan of #5, and really could've seen it that way if they'd built that one.

Personally, I think that squirreling Tuvok and Kim away in their little cages at the corners of the bridge contributed to their characters' underuse... From their stations, they can't interact socially with the rest of the bridge crew, since they're physically far from the rest of the stations (Kim-Tuvok combadge follies non-inclusive).

This is different from the Enterprise, where everyon important was in a sort of tight splotch with Tactical, CO, XOs, Conn, and Ops; and the Defiant, with everyone squished in. In short, I think that Voyager's dramatic possibilities were limited by the large size of the bridge!

Thoughts?

Mark

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happen to really like the alcove design of both of those stations. It makes sense when you consider how many tasks seem to fall under the umbrella of Ops and Tactical. I'm not sure I see the dramatic limitations of them.
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concept 5 looks so...overcrowded. I like 2 much better. And, yeah, why do they all look like they're over fifty feet in diameter? (Except for the last one, which looks like it's only twenty feet in diameter.) Is that just the drawing's perspective?

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps