Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sydneys in Generations. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sydneys in Generations.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the E-D's shuttlebay doors were closed, probably because there wasn't enough power to open them or something. That, or they just closed the doors after they got the shuttles out...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason, I have to point out that that shuttle has a Romulan warp nacelle buried in the middle of it.

Also, tecnically, wasn't the Danube the TNG era shuttle? (It was in Timescape).

The Hawking model always confused me. I read it was a modification of the shuttle from STV. Wasn't the TNG Type-6 shuttle modified from the STV shuttle? Or did they use the other one?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I look at the shuttles is that some could be from the Enterprise. We know the Hawking is one of those shuttles. They were able to open and close the main shuttlebay doors. How else could the Hawking have gotten out without actually damaging or destroying those doors? The model as far as I know was a modificaion of the other ST5 shuttle model made. (two models made for ST5, one modified to type 6 for TNG, other later modified for Generations). And this is OT but even though they said the saucer was unsalvagable, I believe that for Prime Directive reasons, they would have disassembled the saucer bit by bit and removed it completely from the surface. Maybe Picard was in charge of that between the loss of the E-D and the launch and commissioning of E-E.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't even see a difference between the ST5 "VIP" (as some people call it) shuttle and the one at the end of Generations.
Where's the difference?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently only in the paint job.

The design would otherwise nicely fit either of the eras, but the ramscoop domes under the hull look weird in a Kirk-era craft. Fortunately, we didn't get to see them in ST6, so we can pretend the underside of that craft was more consistent with the era (that is, the only large non-white parts would be the blue warp grilles and the yellowish impulse exhausts). Red domes just don't belong to that era, no matter what their function.

Timo Saloniemi

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, PopMaze, the planet where the saucer crashed (Veridian III) was uninhabited, so they could just leave it there since no one could see it. That is, unless some alien plant or something fixes it and runs amok in the galaxy with it.

--------------------
Meh

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Veers, I side with Pop maze on this. Since the other planet in the system was inhabited, it would create problems in the future if they came there in primitive spacecrafts and found an advanced starship there.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forget that the Federation likes to recycle... I'm sure that Worf brought his sonic shower from his quarters on the Enterprise-D to DS9.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an idea, what if the Faragut's expansion bay was actually fitted to be a large bay? Y'know, for rescue ops.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be a good idea, if I could figure out what you're talking about. Expansion bay? Rescue Bay? Hudson Bay?
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he means the pod on the Farragut. It's always been believered they have been interchangeable for different missions, and there may be a pod for "rescue missions", with large shuttlebays and medical facilities, as well as room to fit all the people (most likely in "barrack" style rooms with multiple beds).

The only problem I see with this is the timeit'd take for the Farragut to change the pod. It didn't seem like there was even a day gone by that the Enterprise-D crew sat there waiting for rescue. Farragut would have to have been close-by to get there, and wouldn't have time to change pods.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually there is a difference between the Hawking in generations & the STV shuttle other than the markings. The STV version has these long protrusions near the rear end of the ship, these are not on the Hawking, also the hawking has 3 windows, the STV shuttle has only 1.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the hawking have enterprise type nacelles?

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see the Hawking NCC-1701-D/15 as an older shuttlecraft. She may have been used on ships of the early to mid 24th century. Prior to 2371, this shuttle was given to the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D for use.

Another way of viewing her-she is an intermediate step between the classless shuttles of the second USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A and the class 6 of the 2360's.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Didn't the hawking have enterprise type nacelles?"

Er, what are Enterprise-type nacelles? If you mean "refit-consitution nacelles" (hnnng), then, er, it quite obviously does (or it's closer to them than any other design).

"Red domes just don't belong to that era, no matter what their function."

Red domes don't belong on Kirk-era ships? Phew. Good thing no-one ever saw the Enterprise-nil then, eh?
(Yeah, I know, you probably meant movie-era. But I'm in a nitpicking kind of mood today.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps