Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Spotter: Errors And Corrections (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Starship Spotter: Errors And Corrections
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats so comical about the Yamato's name?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know this book was already out. Need to get it.

Although I have to agree, it does screw up the issue of chronological registries regarding the Akira and Prometheus.

I've always believed the Akira came around the 2350s. I have 2365 on my site, which came from Bernd who's a good judge of info. And if I put only my own opinions in, then my site would be no better than Daystrom Tech. Institute.

Some fans I talk to refuse to believe their vaunted Akira-class, with it's 50 torpedo launchers, predates the Galaxy-class believing it's heresy to think their favorite ship could be old.

As far as the Prometheus mess, I've already said it before. NX-74913: Seen on MSD and Dedication Plaque. NX-59650: Seen on hull. Regardless both were on screen, granted the MSD and DP weren't as visible. But since Okuda made them, has some idea of what he's doing I'll take his registry over the NX-59650 made by Foundation Imaging.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was going to post something on the Yamato registry again and how it relates to the Prometheus, but I won't.

--------------------
Meh

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Yamato has the same problem as the Prometheus -- two registries.

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Well, maybe i should have said 'semi-canon'. I was under the assumption that the authors of Starship Spotter worked on the actual creation of the ships for the filmed productions, and therefore are a good source of previously unseen data that is true to the the technical details of the ships as created for the shows.

Depends on your definition of "author." Most of the technical specs, for isntance, were created by Alex Rosenzweig, almost verbatim from the "Dockyard Review" material extrapolated from Ships of Star Fleet. Perhaps Mojo can help clear up just who did what.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Some fans I talk to refuse to believe their vaunted Akira-class, with it's 50 torpedo launchers, predates the Galaxy-class believing it's heresy to think their favorite ship could be old.

I refuse to believe that the Akira has 15 torpedo tubes, period.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that we know that the actual model of the ship DOES have 15 torpedo launchers, and since the model was seen on screen...

...well, you know the rest.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the E-nil didn't have ANY torp tubes on the model, the359! I say the Ds9 Tech Manual is correct in saying the Akira has two tubes, and I also say that this was a new design at the point of First Contact along with the Steamrunner, Saber, and Norway, designed to combat the Borg.

But then, nobody cares what I say...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise's photon torpedo launchers were behind covers...that's in the Starship Spotter too I believe.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until I actually see the Akira fire all 15 of its tubes on screen, I'm going with the number 2, which we actually did see fire. IMO, the Akira had enough chances on screen to be shown blazing away with its ungodly large number of tubes, but it never does it. Why didn't it alpha strike the Borg cube, or the Prometheus, or those Warbirds? Same with the hypothetical "fighter bay", where are those fighters?

Smoke me a Jaeger, I'll be back for breakfast.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
m4n, etH 4kIra totzally fuckn rrawks!!!!!!1~ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 oh yeah,, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~~~ OLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111~~~ hX0RT HE PL4NNZT IT COULD OTTaLLY KICK LI3K bOTH thE ENTREPR1ZE OR DEFINT ASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1~~~~~ lolololololololollo itz f1ghttarz storngar thaN the bOrg!!!!!!!!!!!11~~ LOLOOLOLOLO!!!!!!!! i love star trak now that itz got the 733t akira c7asz Bloow1ng shit up aNd sHoting guys in th3 fAce aNd not those llame storIes about that human eqUation shit.

Translated into 'hacker' by The Dialectizer

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Referring back to the original list of potential errors: if the Sovereign has three launchers, then Mojo/Alex probably counts two adjoining tubes as one launcher. Using that logic, an Akira with 15 tubes might have something like four (one pod launcher with umpteen tubes, one bow launcher with four, and the sideways launchers) or two (the multitude of saucer tubes is actually counted as one integrated launcher).

However, then a Constitution refit would have one launcher, and a Miranda might have either one or two. Since nobody has come yelling "there are two tubes in a Constitution refit, not one!" I gather that this "system" was not adhered to, either.

I'd happily accept the Constellation, the Republic and the Eagle as ships not belonging to the Constitution class, since two of the three were never seen and the third was visibly (if only slightly) different from the Enterprise. I'm also happy with a 2273 TMP, but agree with the other original nits.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
Member # 709

In Court Martial, Kirk said the Republic was Constitution class when he supplied its registry number to the computer at his deposition.

Didnt he?

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Nope, not that I remember...

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

Someone have the episode? I'm pretty sure thats the way it was

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps