Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship acceleration at sublight, etc... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ship acceleration at sublight, etc...
Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other night I began to wonder: "How fast do some of these ships in Trek actually accelerate?"
Not knowing, I figured it would be a safe bet to refer myself to my handy tech manual. So, off I went, looking high and low for it. Early in the search, I realized I sold them back to the book store.

DOH!

So, I am forced to ask for help on this matter.

If anyone could be helpful enough to list for me the acceleration of say, the Galaxy class, Defiant Class, and the Intrepid (if any is known at all), I thank you.

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*pushes his thread back up to the top of the forum*
Fear my mighty thread manipulation powers.

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Antagonist:

If anyone could be helpful enough to list for me the acceleration of say, the Galaxy class, Defiant Class, and the Intrepid (if any is known at all), I thank you.

Well, the TNG:TM lists the Galaxy Class acceleration as something on the order of 10,000 m/s^2 . . . or around a thousand g.

We hardly ever see any representation of awe-inspiring acceleration of such a calibre . . . though some have mentioned the Enterprise in ST:TMP after leaving dock, the "Kumeh Maneuver" in "Peak Performance"(TNG), and a few other examples.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I've always wondered is why the impulse drive can't push a ship to near the speed of light. If you keep adding delta v (acceleration), shouldn't the speed reached only be limited by the light-speed limit? Why should "full impulse" be only 1/4 c (or whatever)? Does impulse rely on some sort of warp field/relativistic mumbo jumbo?
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TNGTM says that the ships are limited to 1/4c in order to avoid the problem of time dilation. The Enterprise-D can actually make 0.96c or so.

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By why should it make only .96 c? Shouldn't impulse be able to push a ship to .9999999etc c?
Antagonist
Member # 484

Hmm, if I remember right, I think it said int he original tech manual that you could accelerate a ship to Warp velocities (since impulse is really just a miniature warp field...sorta) using impulse. But why the "top speed" is .96c, I dunno. I always thought the speed would be exponential.

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, fuel, obviously.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, yeah...wouldn't it require infinite fuel to Newtonianly accelerate an increasingly infinitely-weighted mass to c?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the idea mentioned is that .25c is generally where they stop accelerating so as to avoid the untidy time dilation effects inherent in traveling near lightspeed in realspace.

(That's not technobabble . . . that's physics.)

Impulse engines are non-Newtonian, though, insofar as they use a small subspace field generator (spacetime driver coil) of below 1000 milliCochranes to give the ship an extra kick and better fuel efficiency.

A subspace field of better than 1000 milliCochranes is necessary for superluminal flight.

(That's not physics . . . that's technobabble.)

Also, it prevents the entire rear-facing area of the ship from having to be a big frickin' sublight engine, like you see on Star Wars Star Destroyers.

(At one point many presumed that the impulse engines provided forward thrust at warp speed, with the warp engines merely providing the continuum distortion effect . . . an episode of Next Gen added to this presumption, when Picard ordered an increase to warp six and Geordi replied "Aye, sir, full impulse". However, the tech-deities that be seem to have settled on the notion that the warp drive's continuum distortion effect is selectively created against the fabric of spacetime to cause the ship to have the necessary acceleration.)

Guardian 2000

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is a good conclusion to come to. After all, Kirk was happily flying at warp speeds in TOS "Obsession", while his impulse engines were down for repairs. Those repairs in fact were the reason the gaseous monster was able to enter the otherwise airtight ship: some sort of a vent had been left open in the impulse engines. (I assume there was a semipermeable forcefield or film in place there, to prevent the air from leaking out...)

I gather that there could be physical reasons for not attaining lightspeed even through a non-Newtonian type of acceleration. There might simply be an interstellar medium that creates a drag proportional to some positive power of speed, so at some point the drag becomes too much for any ship to defy. The drag might be "real", from interstellar gases or something, or "technobabble", from a subspace ether of some sort.

Timo Saloniemi

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Which is a good conclusion to come to. After all, Kirk was happily flying at warp speeds in TOS "Obsession", while his impulse engines were down for repairs. Those repairs in fact were the reason the gaseous monster was able to enter the otherwise airtight ship: some sort of a vent had been left open in the impulse engines. (I assume there was a semipermeable forcefield or film in place there, to prevent the air from leaking out...)

Quite true! (I never got in on that debate . . . I was fairly fresh on the scene when the TNG TM came out, and was quite starstruck with all things spoken by technodeities Sternbach and Okuda.)

quote:
I gather that there could be physical reasons for not attaining lightspeed even through a non-Newtonian type of acceleration. There might simply be an interstellar medium that creates a drag proportional to some positive power of speed, so at some point the drag becomes too much for any ship to defy. The drag might be "real", from interstellar gases or something, or "technobabble", from a subspace ether of some sort.

Timo Saloniemi

Well, short of making the spacetime driver coils have more than 1000 milliCochrane field distortion (thereby making them warp engines anyway), there would always come a point at which Newton and Einstein would catch up to you.

Even if I can achieve distortion up to 999.99999999999999 milliCochranes, I'll still never hit lightspeed because of that last wee little bit missing . . . my mass will still approach infinity . . . it'll just take longer.

Guardian 2000

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
There might simply be an interstellar medium that creates a drag proportional to some positive power of speed, so at some point the drag becomes too much for any ship to defy. The drag might be "real", from interstellar gases or something, or "technobabble", from a subspace ether of some sort.

What was the TNG episode where they were trapped in a nebula & there was a major drag problem? FGC-47, I think it was..."Imaghinary Friend," I believe.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would someone please tell me where in the heck that .96c came from? The TM says .75 for maximum impulse.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, because The Technical Manual is the source for canon information, yessiree Bob!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps