Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Center of Mass: Very minor quasi-pseudo-gripe

Author Topic: Center of Mass: Very minor quasi-pseudo-gripe
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, short of whipping out some awe-inspiring Voyager-esque technobabble, can anyone explain how in the world the Akiraprise/Pre-E/E-NX flies at impulse?

I refer you to the shot at http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000764 , where one can see that the impulse engines of Enterprise are way below (dorsal of) any conceivable center of mass of the ship.

Granted, this is a minor point . . . the impulse engines of the Enterprise-Prime were up on the saucer, and even with her high-riding nacelles over the saucer, I can't imagine that the center of mass was at the back center of the saucer, unless those big honkin' nacelles were hella heavy.

However, many ships in the TNG universe have managed to find their impulse engines somewhere near the center of mass . . . the Galaxy, Ambassador, Akira, Constellation, Danube, Defiant (maybe), Intrepid (very maybe), New Orleans, Oberth (maybe), Sabre (very maybe), Sovereign, and the Klingon Vor'Cha (and maybe the K't'inga).

Exceptions do exist . . . the Nova, like the Enterprise-Prime, has impulse engines centered between nacelles and the rest of the ship . . . again, okay if the warp drive is hella heavy, but that seems a bit much unless the rest of the ship is made of tin foil. And a few ships are just hopeless (mainly the ones not mentioned, unless I just didn't know where the impulse deck was and couldn't find it by peeking at the Ex Astris Scientia side-views).

How do we account for the fact that the Enterprise-NX should be doing loop-dee-loops or else flying with her nose cocked down?

Just wondering,

Guardian 2000

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when in doubt, always make up an explanation using the word "subspace".
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forcefields and "vectored exhaust", or whatever it was called.

That's awe-inspiring TNG-esque technobabble, BTW.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this not matter in the vacuum of space? Whatever direction the thrust is in, the object will go the opposite direction, but it wont "rotate" at all.

The only way the ship actually turns from any direction other then straight forward is through vectored thrust from the impulse engines and the RCS Thrusters.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't think so. For example, if you were out in space w/ a suit that had a rocket in the back of the helmet, and you activated it, you'd probably spin around "head over heels".
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that would happen. The closer the thrust is to the center of mass, the less lateral control you need.

There are other possible reasons for impulse being in the saucer on E-nil (such as space, saucer sep. occasions, etc.) but NX-01's mass is so completley unevenly distributed as to make it thoroughly nonsensical.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just another case of WHAT WAS THE ENGINEER SMOKING WHEN HE DESIGNED IT.... Sort of like why did Kirk's Enterprise get ripped to shreads by the Reliant and survive and the E-D took a few hits and blew up... (Answer: The Writers)

Eh, when in doubt... Technobabble.

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: StyroFoam Man ]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, i agree with the Generations situation.

But the Reliant got the Enterprise because
a) the shields were down
b) they 'knew exactly where to hit us'
c) Kirk should have raised the shields, but screwed up.
d) the Reliant wasnt outclassed much by them.. it had more weapons!

The whole point of the movie was that Kirk no longer felt like the guy who saved the day, was no longer invincible, so therefore he screwed up badly by not raising the shields. This was the writers, like you said, but they explained the tech end of it very well with the shields down/precise shot excuse. Besides the Reliant doesnt outclass the 1701 much weaponwise.. its got more torpedoes and woo 'mega-phasers' Dont think that because 1701 was bigger, it was stronger (Starfleet makes 'tough little ships')

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps we could stop the NX-01 from cartwheeling by saying that the nacelles of this design have their own impulse engines at the aft ends. Or that the mass of the nacelles is variable, and goes all the way down to zero if needed - after all, subspace fields are supposed to lower the inertial mass, and what else is a warp nacelle but a honking big subspace field generator?

Generally, UFP starships have tended to have their nacelles close to the "thrust plane", so we have been able to assign the nacelles just about any percentage of the ship's total mass. Zero works just fine for most designs. The Constitution configuration is yet another case of this. Unfortunately, it has the secondary hull inconveniently far away from the "thrust plane"... So in fact, it's the one design that creates problems!

Timo Saloniemi

Cubic Centimeter
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either the exhaust is directed +Y, or maybe there is a ballast mass somewhere in the forward area of the ship. Then again, with things like inertial dampeners, you don't need to have ballast or +Y thrust vectors. You just need to adjust the inertia of the nacelles, or the ship. Pick one.

cm^3

IP: Logged
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Perhaps we could stop the NX-01 from cartwheeling by saying that the nacelles of this design have their own impulse engines at the aft ends. Or that the mass of the nacelles is variable, and goes all the way down to zero if needed - after all, subspace fields are supposed to lower the inertial mass, and what else is a warp nacelle but a honking big subspace field generator?

That would, at least, reduce the loop-de-looping . . . nifty idea.

quote:
Generally, UFP starships have tended to have their nacelles close to the "thrust plane", so we have been able to assign the nacelles just about any percentage of the ship's total mass. Zero works just fine for most designs. The Constitution configuration is yet another case of this. Unfortunately, it has the secondary hull inconveniently far away from the "thrust plane"... So in fact, it's the one design that creates problems!

Timo Saloniemi

Well, actually, if one assumes that the Constitution nacelles are heavy as all hell, then the rest of the ship could be of equal mass . . . then it would work out, *roughly*, since the nacelles are above the centerline of the saucer.

G2k

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either the exhaust is directed +Y, or maybe there is a ballast mass somewhere in the forward area of the ship. Then again, with things like inertial dampeners, you don't need to have ballast or +Y thrust vectors. You just need to adjust the inertia of the nacelles, or the ship.

Unneccessary complexity. Bad engineering.

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, blame Probert and Sternbach, because they made those mistakes on the Galaxy and Intrepid.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Cubic Centimeter
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OnToMars:

Unneccessary complexity. Bad engineering.

I agree. But something has to keep it from going loop the loop. If pressed I would say that they probably just point the impulse nozzels +Y.

cm^3

IP: Logged
OnToMars
Member # 621

How was that mistake made on the Galaxy? Assuming that starships are for the most part balanced so their center of mass lies in the neck (on cruiser configured vessels anyway), then the Galaxy's engines are perfectly placed. The Eng hull's is probably directly on the axis of center of mass and the saucer engines are symmetrical to each other. Like I said, the closer the engine is to the axis of center of mass, the less lateral control it needs. Since both engines are equadistant from the axis, the lateral control each one needs is identical to the other engine. That's good engineering.

As for the Intrepid, I'm forced to agree. The best explanation that I can come up with - one which I don't like - is that the placement of the nacelles in the 'impulse' position allows for better manuevarability during impulse (as opposed to the up, which allows better speed or something at warp). Somehow, this is beneficial for impulse and simultaneously allows for the placement of the impulse engines themselves on the axis of the warp field generation.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps