Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » And the Enterprise Length IS.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: And the Enterprise Length IS....
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Rob Bonchune of Foundation Imaging (excerpt of the essential part of a reply to an e-mail of mine in which I mentioned that more people would like to know the size):

"The Enterprise length has been set at 225 meters. Width of the primary hull: 136 meters.

The dimensions and specifics where given to us by Doug Drexler/Star Trek art department. Doug built the prototype."

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I will quote that in my database.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checked the schematic. The ship's length is 1.65 times the width of its saucer, which is just right. Amazing. FAR too big, though. *runs and hides* 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think it's far too big - for the amount of people that crew her. I think 87 is still far too few for a ship of that size, given the E-nil's 430. Unless of course you figure out a way to rationalize it with Pike's crew count of 203.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All good points but consider this:

It is an early ship. They will not be as advanced as 1701 was/is/will be. They haven't mastered space travel or ship design & construction and so will only be able to house small numbers of people on fairly large ships.

Besides, look at the Oberth - 150m (ish) and only 80 people. Based on those figures the Enterprise would have a crew of about 120 - 87 ain't far off . . . and don't forget that at that time Earth had few people to spare what with WW3 and all . . .

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alanis Morisettes of the world, take note. This is called irony.

Remember the length pool I ran back in September? Well, um...

0.012m - Mucus
024m - Matrix
087m - Omega
100m - J
110m - targetemployee
113m - TSN
130m - Stingray
137m - Balaam Xumucane
147m - Shik
152m - Davok
157m - Dr. Jonas Bashir
160m - Treknophyle
161m - Hunter
171m - Frank
175m - The_Evil_Lord
180m - Tech Sergeant Chen
186m - The Red Admiral
190m - Mr. Christopher
198m - NightWing
200m - Ace
210m - Nimrod
220m - Bernd
225m - ACTUAL SIZE
235m - The_Tom
250m - Vogon Poet
280m - Mark Nguyen

And the winner is... Bernd!

(over yours truly by a nose, I might add)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christ! Didn't Bernd win the pool on the unveiling date as well? Pretty damn fishy, if you ask me...
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, remember that both Doug and Bernd have extensive experience with Starfleet deck heights (how many MSDs do you have to do to, or how many lengths do you have to verify structurally before get a good feel for them?) Bernd just happened to pick the right deck height.

The only thing that's fishy is the 190m size quoted in the series bible and the Communicator (the latter saying "a little over 600 feet", suggesting an independent source?). Might be the size of the prototype model, the earlier Enterprise sketches that more resembled the Ent-A, or simply a made-up length by the producers. Remember, Roddenberry set the 190,000-ton mass of the Constitution before it was even designed! The runabouts were said to be 20m long in the DS9 bible, then ended up 23.1m long in Rick's blueprints. A small difference.

Cubic Centimeter
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I also think it's far too big - for the amount of people that crew her. I think 87 is still far too few for a ship of that size, given the E-nil's 430. Unless of course you figure out a way to rationalize it with Pike's crew count of 203.

Mark

Can we say that most of it is used for unadvanced bulky systems? Maybe structural integrity and inertial dampening take up some major space, especially if we consider radiation shielding from those devices and possibly others.

cm^3

IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It kinda makes sense that there'd be a small crew on a ship this size. When equipment is first invented, it's pretty bulky. Take telephone equipment, for instance. In the switchouses around here, there's a lot of empty floorspace because the older equipment that did the job of the new stuff was all electromechanical and took up a lot of room. But now everything's compact (thank the Japanese ).

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: Mr. Christopher ]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bitchslaps the UBB for eating his post*

Anyway, keep in mind that the above pool was done when all we had to go on was the John Eaves interview that said the ship was smaller than Kirk's and would please fans of Akira (famous last words, one suspects ). So Bernd's guess most likely had little to do with deck height guesstimation. (Or, perhaps he sneakily did know about the design months before we did and had ample time to cook up his pages upon pages of criticism... (j/k) )

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Boris
Member # 713

Naw, even without knowing the exact shape, we did know that the ship had to be about 65-95% the size of the TOS Enterprise, otherwise it wouldn't have looked good in a TNG-era display lineup.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this makes the diameter of the NX-01 saucer identical to that of the TOS Enterprise. A pity really, I would've prefered the NX-01 to be a little smaller.

Even so, the crew/size ratio is about right when compared to TNG era crew sizes. It's also nice to have deck heights that are actually big enough to support the sets.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I said it would be 250m, even larger than the size I'm now complaining about. How embarrassing. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen a picture of Bernd, so it must be The_Tom who has the 2.5 meter long nose.

The official size of the saucer currently seems to make it *bigger* than the TOS Constitution primary hull. After all, there's no undercut to the widest part, and the shape overall is more lenticular instead of a flat pillbox with a mound in the middle. But when you stuff the shuttlebays and the engineering facilities in there, plus all those consumables the ship has to carry when it doesn't have advanced fabricators or replicators... No, I don't find the ~90 crew unrealistic at all. Especially if the ship sailed out without some of the gunnery crew when she didn't even have the guns for them.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps