Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » [$$Nemesis$$] Report Hints at new E-E Sets? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: [$$Nemesis$$] Report Hints at new E-E Sets?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoilers ahead...

http://www.startrek.com/production/startrekx/articles/120701.html

Specifically:

"So far the thespians have reprised their characters in various locations throughout the ship such as Sickbay, Crew Lounge, Engineering, and Weapons Locker. In the coming days, the crew will finally get to take their posts on the Enterprise-E bridge, where they will spend the bulk of their shooting schedule during December."

Given the nature of film shooting, only the barest minimum of sets are kept from movie to movie, with the rest being struck and rebuilt as necessary. As such, only the E-E Bridge, Conference Lounge, corridor and Engineering sets are likely to have been in storage since "First Contact". Almost everything else is recycled from other sets. Offhand, I can remember that Voyager's:

Ready Room = Troi's Office / Jacuzzi
Engineering = Library
Quarters = Quarters
Sickbay = Sickbay

Also, the armory seen in "First Contact" was previously the orbital tether cab in Voyager's "Rise", and various shuttles in the movies are redresses of Voyager or DS9 sets.

What's my point? It's virtually certain that Voyager's sets were permenantly struck following the end of that series. Given that "Enterprise"'s sets don't as easily mesh with the antiseptic paradigm of 24th century technology, we're thus likely to be seeing NEW sets for Sickbay, the crew lounge (an equivalent to Ten-Forward, apparently) and probably some generic set for the weapons locker. I for one would be looking forward to a new Sickbay, as Voyager's comparitively puny set did not adequately account for the E-E's differneces in size and tech.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect that they've got more storage space at the moment then they have had in awhile, though. Enterprise has more sets than either TNG, DS9, or Voyager, as I recall, but with just one show running my hunch is that there's space enough in the Star Trek section of the lot to hold some of these sets, at least in condensed form.
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The set with the fase stretching devices, with the stairway seen in Insurrection looked familiar as well.

Isn't that the same set as the museum where the Doctor was when he (a copy of him) was found far ahead in the future, and they'd reconstructed Voyager as being a battleship?

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was exactly the same set.. good eyes

i read an article about it somewhere..

heres another.. when the sets were being struck, several were given a 'hold and fold' order, to be broken down for later use.. most notably the Defiant's bridge, which appeared a couple times in Voyager season 7 and then a couple weeks ago as the Fortunate's bridge

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading an interview near the end of Voyager's run that mentioned that, at the time of the interview, the main engineering set for Voyager was being dismantled. I don't know if all of them were destroyed or stored, though.

I'd like to see some new sets built instead of just reassembling the Voyager sets (if they are still around). The reuse of the Sickbay set bugged me as well. I felt that it should have been a more expansive set seem it would serve hundreds more people than Voyager's. Didn't the Voyager set only have three biobeds total (not counting the main diagnostic bed)? Plus, the design of the Voyager sickbay never really gelled with the rest of the ship. The shapes and colors of sickbay stuck out like sore thumb, in my opinion.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. I thought they did a nice job of disguising it, myself. More importantly, it's always been assumed that the sickbay sets we see never represent the entire sickbay.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise-D sickbay set had a second door that lead down a corridor towards the second ward. Supposedly, the window in Crusher's office opened out onto it. Barclay and a couple others actually used that door once, too. There was the impression there that more wards existed.

The Voyager set is nice enough, but I've always felt was too small for a Sovereign-size ship. This primary ward is the most important of the medical facilities, and all critical patients get sent there first. For the types of missions the Sovereign should be on, there doesn't seem to be enough room for all the activity that could be going on. Plus, to move patients into a second ward or the like, they'd have to be hauled out into the hallway or (if the CMO's medlab has a second-ward door) cut through Crusher's office. I don't fault them for using the set since it did free up money, but I would have preferred something a little more different or more modifications to the Voyager set.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall reading that the Engineering set was totally dismantled, as in, all the supports and beams and structuring were cleared out. The same basic set had stood since "The Motion Picture" back in the seventies, and was only redressed for TNG and Voyager. (Note the identical layout of the rooms in all three series.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I don't know about that. The Enterprise D set was all new, I think. Well, I mean, the walls and stuff. Surely by the time they were filming Generations they were doing Voyager's pilot too, no? Or are my dates way off?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Note the identical layout of the rooms in all three series

I wouldn't say identical, the TNG & Voyager sets were all arse about face, with what used to be the space for the plasma conduit becoming the enterance and the old enterance being blocked off...but apart from that it was the same set...basically.

While were on the subject, there is something that has always bothered me about voyager's engineering set...where the bloody hell is the warp reaction chamber? the dilithium articulation frame? or the warp plasma conduits?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"where the bloody hell is the warp reaction chamber?"

That big multi-colored tube that runs up and down the middle of the room.

"the dilithium articulation frame?"

Nonexistent.

"or the warp plasma conduits?"

I don't really know about this one...

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

The dilithium articulation frame has been replaced by a dilitium crystal matrix in Voyager. It's another radical warp engineering concept for the advanced light explorer of the 'Fleet.

I believe that the warp plasma conduits run under the floor of main engineering back towards the nacelles. In one of the early episodes, the floor in the entrance area of the set exploded and was venting a gaseous energy cloud. Neelix then pushed Michael Jonas into it and killed him. It's been my opinion that was the warp plasma conduit(s) and that the light built into the floor represents it.

Or maybe that's just unnecessary set decoration.

Also, the engineering sets for TNG and Voyager have the same orientation, actually. The lifts are both on the right side (when facing the core) and it looks like control consoles block off where the Enterprise-D's plasma conduits entered the wall. Also, the Chief Engineer's Office on TNG is still in the same position on Voyager and isn't even all that modified. It's also been copied onto the other side of the reactor to create a symmetric look.

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer an earlier question, the stretchomatic parlor in "Insurrection" was earlier seen as a museum in "Living Witness".

That's what sorta gets me about the upcoming "Nemesis" compared to the last one. We've got actual *new* sets to complement the old, which will hopefully not be simple redresses of existing ones. This was part of the magic in some of the better Trek films - the scenery isn't just a thingly-veiled picture we've seen before. Take the BOP sets we saw in ST4, for example, or everything new in "First Contact".

Now, if only Riker & Troi would get their consoles back in the next film... Hell, I'm sorta hoping for the Bridge set to get some sort of overhaul. I miss the horseshoe.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You miss it? I for one am glad they got rid of that ugly thing!

And I'm also looking forward to seeing some "really" new sets in X.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The horseshoe is in a Hollywood museum right now. I should know since I visited it to see what remains of the TNG sets. Anyway, most likely the Voyager sickbay was salvaged and will be extensively modified for Trek X since I read in an article somewhere that all the sets were struck down except sickbay which was saved for the next Trek film.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps