Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Drexler & Eaves interview in upcoming ST:Communicator?

Author Topic: Drexler & Eaves interview in upcoming ST:Communicator?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Came across a mention in passing deep within the internet milleu that the just-coming-out-now-and-maybe-later-or-maybe-already issue of the Communicator (136, by my reckoning) contains an interview with John Eaves and Doug Drexler on the design of the Enterprise which contains cutaway diagrams that confirm the 225m length and A through G decks.

Scanners to defcon 2, s'il vous plait.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/aaronofborg/debate_nn4.html

Someone beat you guys to the scanner. Pah!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonsymmetrical warp coils? What is that supposed to mean?

Anyway, I notice that there is no indication of what the pod is supposed to have in it. Plus, it labels the impulse engines as "impulse rockets." Seven decks seems about right for Enterprise, and its odd that they've assigned levels to the nacelles. Is this suggesting habitable maintenance areas in the nacelles or what?

Also, what were these images based off of? Is it a random artist's conception or are these from notes by Eaves and Drexler? In other words, how much credence can we give these images?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeeeeeeeeeeeewl.

Nice little touch with the "impulse rockets" labeling. That's what they were referred to as in the Writer's Guide for TOS.

*letting my hopes run away with me for a bit*

Could the "non-symmetrical warp coils" be some sort of reference to the nacelle setup as seen in TAS "One Of Our Planets Is Missing", with one nacelle containing anti-matter coils, and the other containing matter coils?

There were also walkways inside the nacelles, whichmight jive with the aforementioned nacelle-level/deck labeling.

Probably too much to hope for, but it would be a damned decent thing of them to do.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

"Non-symmetrical warp coils" may well be a sneaky little way of fitting in Riker's line about the invention of the "warp coil" improving FTL travel in "A Matter of Time." I'm a little fuzzy on what the actual line from that episode was, though, although somebody pointed out that the ep implied that true warp coils didn't come about until after the supposed launch date of the NX-01. *shrug*

Two little things of interest... Cold Front implied that Engineering was on C-deck, though not in a bulletproof fashion (Daniels could have been asking for C-deck to be sealed off from D-deck so Silik couldn't go upwards into presumably more critical systems, which he apparently managed to do afterwards anyway). One would think having Engineering on D makes a lot more sense, because it would give the PTCs more upward space to travel, and thus spread them wide enough apart to reach the catamarans before turning and heading nacelleward.

But... the PTC paths that they've drawn in don't do that either, and indeed seem a little counterintuitive. The conduits apparently turn only one deck above engineering, and therefore can't already be spread wide enough apart to go straight down the catamarans. One imagines that the horizontal component that follows is therefore also angled outwards, so they can spread from being about 15m apart to the 30 or 40 they need to be to each travel through a different catamaran. And then there's no reason to drop vertically and then horizontally.... why not just smoothly bend in step with the curve on the cats down to the base of the nacelle struts?

That said, we have no idea how exactly to plumb warp plasma, and can't really apply what we might think of as "common sense" today to a fictional high-tech process. Maybe curvey-conduits are a no-no at this tech level and warp plasma needs to be shunted around corners by special gooseneck nodes.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be interesting to see how that side view matches up with Bernd's estimated one. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

A comparison like this one?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Impulse rockets" is cheerfully non-TOSlike terminology, yet with hints of "The Cage" in it.

OTOH, the image labels the projectile weapons of the ship as "torpedoes". Is that the official word, too, or is it "missiles"?

So the fancy P-38 tubocharger caps on the horizontal booms are for "observation". I wonder if they open up like astronomical observatory domes or something...

No mention of transporters or secondary weapons here. Do we know from other sources where the transporter room is?

Timo Saloniemi

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

I'm pretty sure that the aft dorsal observation dome on the diagram is in fact that knobbly little dome at the very back of the saucer along the centreline. Still no idea what the P-38 turbochargers are for.

The projectile weapons have been referred to as torpedoes in all the eps. I think there was one journalist's report that called them "missiles," but aside from that they've been torps everywhere, including the bible. One issue that needs resolving is the fact that the armoury set presumably represents the loading facilities for two of the four tubes. Unfortunately, the two loading tracks are only about five meters apart at most, while the outlets of the tubes appear to be double that.

The transporter's on a regular deck somewhere. I think it was mentioned somewhere it's directly across the corridor from the cargo bays, since it's meant to be mainly for cargo. But I don't think the deck letter's been nailed down yet.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps