Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ships of the Line 2002!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ships of the Line 2002!!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Mojo, you've REALLY got to do something about the people who distribute/promote your products. I looked over Brisbane for the last month for this Calendar... every book store, calendar store, newsagent, calendar stand did not have ONE copy. They had the TOS and TNG and Voyager ones (at a few). No Ships of the Line. I finally tracked it down in ONE place. At a few of the other places I asked if they knew of it - in their catalogue it and DS9 wasn't listed under Star Trek and the title was "Ships of the Fleet". Not Ships of the Line. I have yet to see the DS9 calendar.

I have to collect my thoughts on the calendar - and post a special long posts - just a few qualms but over all I LOVED THIS CALENDAR TO BITS! I became all excited at every page I opened. I have read here where people didn't like the black and white stills - can I just say they are CRAZY! I don't think the E-E has ever looked as REAL as it has in that centre-page spread. The "Challenger" I was a little annoyed at - it looked hasty... i.e. you can clearly see the "Enterprise" labelling on other sections of the ship - which made me look at the main 'name' and the "Challenger" looked FAKE - it looked like someone had just typed the word over the finished picture in an art program - it did not look part of the ship - and the "Enterprise" labelling elsewhere seem to lend creadence to this.

OK I'm journeying into a full blown post here - which was not my intention - but I think that the 'Challenger' thing was probably my biggest problem.

I thouhgt I should post this now, since a thought came to be just as I was turning on my computer where you said that you were going to go back to the 'ship against black space pics' PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT do this. Some of the suggestions I made for the Unseen Frontierr I have seen in the calendar - so now I can go and think of other possible ideas! WOOHOO!

Loved: The BOP attacking the out post - I got goosebumps at this pic! Same with the E-Refit in V'Ger.
Qualms: The Klingon ship going down in flames - nice idea - it just looked a little... comical - or 'dinky' or something - i.e. it didn't look real - maybe if we saw it in the clouds of the planet - not from the surface where we get objects to compare it size to. Or something.

I LOVE this CALENDAR! I love the 3 minute exposure shot of space dock! (Something REALLY REALLY nitpicky... did you make a motion blur on the spacedock doors - since they seemed to have closed since the Galaxy Class ship had left! ;o)

I ADORE the Workbee-before-start-of-day-pic... this is very simple but to me is probably the best of the calendar. It is something REAL, like every-day life in the Federation. It also looks VERY real!!!! Just a question - did any of the workbee numbers have significance - I saw a "007" in there ;o)

Thankyou - and please more calendars like this - I loved this edition.

Andrew

P.S. It looked as if my post was bigger than I thought.

Andrew

p.p.s. I have just another tiny qualm/question - the phaser strips - especially on the Galaxies... why are they 'flat' like that - i.e. not corrugation like they are in the 'real-life' models or on TV. They just aren't smooth - there are individual banks - that make it look corrugated.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say that I too love the 2002 calendar. I consider it to be a major improvemeant on the 2001 edition. IMO almost every page of the 2002 edition is a work of art. These are my exceptions-

I loathe the Defiant picture (February). The model of the Defiant used here is the most inaccurate piece of shit and offends me on multiple levels. Instead, if the accurate model developed for "The Changing Face of Evil" was used than this picture would have been brilliant.

I too am annoyed that the central picture featuring the "Challenger" also displays the Enterprise name. I noticed the error straight away - mistakes like this are just not good enough. Otherwise, the centerfold is breath taking.

Well that's it for the complaints - the rest is excellent.

Looking at the workbees, one of them is numbered 666.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was going to mention the Defiant error too! (but I didn't want to harp on too much ) That NOSE section - way, way TOO long. BAH!

Oh yeah - that is an eye-sore the Challenger isn't it!?!

Otherwise yeah - lovely calendar (way better than last year/this year).

Ohhhh! I just noticed a SABRE in the 'time-exposure' picture! WOOHOO! ;o)

*LOVES the E-Refit pic looking between the nacelles* LOVE IT! Looks like the physical model!

Andrew

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"*LOVES the E-Refit pic looking between the nacelles* LOVE IT! Looks like the physical model!"

Correctamundo! Mojo mentioned that that pic was a photograph of physical model. Good call!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

'bout the physical model: oops! heh - well at least it's great to know that they have access to the models!?!

I forgot to mention that I also LOVE the Exeter bridge picture! With the smoke etc. (one qualm... should the Enterprise be THAT infocus on the viewscreen... or more to the point why is the hull so blazingly white?)

Also this is REALLY nitpicky - shouldn't the red alert light on the captain's chair be glowing - since it is red alert on the bridge!?! Also the red-alert button in the middle of the flight console (where Sulu and Chekov sit on the Enterprise) that should be red should it?

Also that reminds me... maybe something for unseen frontier... working out what the "ION POD" from "Court Martial" is... is Matt Jefferies still alive... maybe he has an idea!?!

Andrew

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo had access to the physical models of the workbee, the K't'inga battlecruiser and the refit Enterprise while he was working on the Director's Edition of TMP.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

No spacedock/mechanodock... orbital offices or the little pods coming off the work bees!?!

--------------------

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Andrew & the rest:

I really appreciate your comments on the 2002 calendar. As long as a few people out there like it, I'm happy :-)

And no one likes the Defiant picture - even me! It just didn't work.

Although I'm still ROTFL after hearing that you like the workbees best - there's just no stopping that image! Some people have sworn to tear out that image from every calendar on the planet and burn it, while just as many others think it's the best one of the bunch - ditto the Klingon shot.

I love it when that happens! And oh yes, the numbers were all on purpose. 007 since Rob is a huge Bond fan, 042 for obvious reasons, etc...

Also, I want to clear something up - there are NO SHOTS OF REAL MODELS in the calendar! ST: The Magazine got the caption for the photo wrong. The image is BASED on a photo I took of the model while it was at Foundation. But the image in the calendar is 100% CG. And I'm flattered it fooled ya :-)

If there's a place out there all of you can view an image, I'll be happy to upload the pic of the Enterprise model that inspired the calendar shot!

And don't worry - 2003 has a grand total of ZERO shots of ships in space. Well, I take that back - it has two, but you can hardly see any space!

mojo

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mojo,

I sent you a private message a while back, which I assume you never saw, when you mentioned getting starship models for future calendars, and I suggested you should contact Andy Probert about that. I was at his place once a few years back and I saw some sketches he'd done for what he had been toying with for the successor to the Galaxy Class. I also think it would be cool to see a 3D rendering of the original design of the Ambassador class.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the 2002 calendar is absolutely, outstandingly great, with one problem probably only I have...

The blur effects in some of the pictures kinda make my head hurt... o_0

Then again, I'm prone to that.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
the 2002 calendar is absolutely, outstandingly great, with one problem probably only I have...

The blur effects in some of the pictures kinda make my head hurt... o_0

Then again, I'm prone to that.

HA! He has a weakness! We must exploit it!

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a shameless plug, but if you haven't picked up your 2002 calendar, now is the time to do it! The stores are nearly sold out, and most of them have their calendars at half price.

Buy a few!

:-)

Mojo

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Mojo you really MUST tell someone about the woeful distribution of Trek Calendars in Australia... TNG, TOS, Voy - all there I've found a grand total of 1 Ships of the Line and 0 DS9 calendars. (I bought the SotL calendar of course!).

Can anyone tell me what the DS9 calendar has - i.e. the internal picture?

the TOS pic is from TMP:SE? no?
TNG is the E-C blue brints?

What is in the middle of the DS9 and Voyager calendars?

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can second what Andrew said, Mojo. I'm glad I bought SotL 2002 when I did, because I never saw it anywhere again afterwards. I have seen the DS9 calendar around but certainly not recently. I may be wrong but I think the picture that was on the cover of last years DS9 calendar is the centre of this year's one.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rarely see Trek calendars in my neck of the woods. I went to Frederiction the other day and found the TNG, DS9, and VGR calendars, but no SotL. I was disappointed at that. Of course, if I had looked around hard enough at Chapters I might have found something. Oh well. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps