Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Kumeh Maneuver

Author Topic: Kumeh Maneuver
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently saw (in passing) the episode "Peak Performance"(TNG).

In it, the Enterprise-D and the old retired Hathaway engage in wargames. Picard opens up with the "conservative" Kumeh Maneuver.

A graphic showing what was taking place appeared to show the Enterprise-D's icon circling around from behind the planet at extreme velocity.

However, my recollection may be faulty . . . the ship could simply have been shown as coming closer with the planet as a backdrop.

Can anyone confirm this?

G2k

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Encyclopdeia desribes the Kumah Maneuver as a battle tactic in which one ship uses a large space body such as a planet or moon to hide behind and confuse the other ship's sensors.

Something like that.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seems to be what Picard was doing. Of course, it's probably a simplistic description - in reality, the Kumeh Maneuver would be an especially ingenious way of hiding behind a planet, different from the otherwise similar Tsi Kehn Run in the trajectory used, and from Yell-Olivar Evasion in the choice of speed profile, or the balance between shield power and stealth, or something.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehhh... what!?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoth the Encyclopedia: "Combat tactic in which one sublight space vehicle maneuvers behind a planet to avoid detection by another". Pretty straightforward... I wonder why they even bothered to give a name to it. We see various ships do that all the time.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Timo answered that by suggesting that it really is not as simple as the Encyclopedia defines it, so you'd have to give different names to different variations of the basic "hide behind the planet" strategy.

That episode always struck me as a little off because we'd never hear of that or other manuevers again. Instead we simply get a bunch of evasive patterns (Delta-4, Omega, Beta..etc, etc).

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

(In case you were wondering why I'd ask that, understand that I play some with a band of Star Wars fans who insist on the military, politicial, socio-economic, and technological superiority of the Empire. The Kumeh Maneuver is important, therefore, in demonstrating a certain technological point I'm trying to convey.)

Thanks!

Guardian 2000

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
..Star Wars fans who insist on the military, politicial, socio-economic, and technological superiority of the Empire

Yeah, I like fascism, slavery and racism as much as the next guy. Much better than those peace-loving Star Trek guys.. man it seems like they hardly ever kill anything for no reason. Theyve done such a poor job of controlling dirt-races like the Vulcans and Andorians, not like the Empire keeps those filthy alien scum down..

If you like the Empire as a template, you could look up Nazi Germany.. its been said Lucas might have thought of them when creating the Galactic Empire. Very efficient guys

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, Mike, Guardian said his friends liked that as a template, not him

Still, I'd say the Empire certainly (militarily) has the edge. Not so sure technological, since by indications they don't have that great cloaking technology, and no transporters.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Mike, you sure seem to harbor some unusual hostility to an imaginary political force from a long time ago, far far away.

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: USS Vanguard ]

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can never forgive them for the death of my boy

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
I can never forgive them for the death of my boy

I'd like to thank you for making me laugh my a$$ off every time I think of your reply. :-)

G2k

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

I usually tack that to the end of every sentence where somebody asks me why i dont like something. I intend to continue doing so until somebody gets sick of it, or until i have a son (i wouldnt want to jinx him)

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps