Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Enterprise Information On StarTrek.Com (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Enterprise Information On StarTrek.Com
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just opened today, Startrek.com has a tour of the new NX-01. It includes blueprints, cutaways, 3D Spin-Arounds of multiple areas of the ship, plus some information we never knew...

The tour is here.

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and we get our first pic of the Enterprise dedication plaque. It simply says:

ENTERPRISE

SPACECRAFT NUMBER NX-01
JOHNATHAN ARCHER, COMMANDER

Then there is a long list of names, unable to be read

"...To boldly go where no human has gone before!"

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, so at some point in the future some chauvinistic jerk says 'hey, let's put MAN in there instead of HUMAN, it would be much better'.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

The more I look at the pic of it, I'm undecided if it says "man" or "human"...

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely "where no man". No doubt about it.

One wonders if it was an engraver (who didn't attend the Tim Nix Memorial Institute for Grammatical Excellence) that screwed up the line from Cochrane's speech and split the infinitive, leading to decades of incorrect plaques.

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm...that says 'man'.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

PS:

So how come there's no mention of the fact that there are two launch bays? (Or at least another set of doors.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank GOD it doesn't say "Starship Class". Thus it's not actually a STARSHIP Enterprise... I guess that exempts it from the "No bloody A, B, C or D" etc.?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I guess that exempts it from the "No bloody A, B, C or D" etc.?

One would think so, yes. Of course those who dislike the ship any way, wont care about what the plaque says.

By the way does anybody feel that "spacecraft" sounds too small? I mean spaceship sounds better and fits with the system that they reffered to in TOS? I.e. The captain warning the roman analogue that Kirk was a Starship captain as oposed to being a Spaceship captain and as such so more brave resourceful etcera.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some notes on the schematics:

225 meters is the correct length.

It seems like that no one has a clue as to what all those exterior greeblies are. The pod is probably where the impulse tech is, with some PTCs going to all the impulse engines. So it really is a movie-style impulse crystal thing up there..

What a stupid place for Engineering, though. I bet it didn't take long for them to come up with the idea of a separate engineering hull..
There seems to be no traditional computer core in this ship, unless it's that tiny thing just above the lower dome (what we used to call a sensor dome).

These Virtual Tours are cool! I love the Sickbay set with the scanner and the TOS-like grate decorations.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have clipped the cutaway image if any of you wish to see it all at once

Captain's Image of the Week

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Mike was faster, but here is the side and the top view:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/prefed1.htm

Anyone has an idea what the strange measurements in the top view are about?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW Bernd, your side view (and the topview sample from UP3 we saw) from a while back are amazingly accurate.. are you sure you arent working on the show ;-)

it seems to indicate the top view is more than 225m, unless they dropped the lines funny. What were they measuring?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Is it me or does that look like a CD rack? [Wink]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it is.

What's with that funky little interdecking between D & E? Is that where the Plot Drive resides?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the lines are just goofy on the schematic, and Enterprise is 225 meters as has been independently confimed. Look at those ridiculous deck lines at the front of the top view... the illustrator was sloppy.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps