Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Day of the Dove

Author Topic: Day of the Dove
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm sure you don't want me to bring this up... again but The Enterprise, Constitution class engineering location.

I was always adament that it was located in the secondary hull section. Until that is I caught "Day of the Dove" last night. It'd be great if someone could point me to a script of it online. Anyway The mention Engineering. Kang's wife says "The Sixth Deck" and they proceed... meanwhile Kirk and Spock also say they are heading to engineering. Next scene they all meet in the hallways outside Engineering. This is Deck 6 people. I checked the Schematic in the Encylcopaedia... deck 6 and 7 are the two decks that make up the 'rim' of the saucer section. It all fits. Deck 6 would be the top half - where the Impulse Engines are. The klingons also controlled the forward half of Deck Seven - which would make sense - this being the bottom half of the 'rim' of the saucer (say where Ten Forward is on the E-D). The bulk of the crew is trapped 'below decks' - ample room. Sulu is also ordered to get to auxillary control - which would be akin to the 'battle bridge' which would be on top of the neck... which would be either deck 6 or seven - depending on how far it would regress into the primary hull.

There is no problem with Engineering being relocated to the secondary hull by TMP... especially when it is "almost a completely different ship". Maybe there is already an engineering that already is down in the secondary hull that looks reminiscent to Engineering scene in TMP.

The problem is the curved ceilings in Engineering.

I liked how the turbolift at the beginning stopped at Deck 2 for McCoy to get out to go to sick-bay and then the rest continued on to deck 1 - the Bridge.

I missed the very start of the episode - why did the Enterprise blow up the Klingon vessel?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If memory serves, it was severely damaged and emitting large amounts of radiation.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Klingon vessel was so severely damaged that it was leaking massive amounts of radiation, and therefore presented a navigational hazard to the star system. Not that Kang approved of them destroying it.

I realized that the engineering cieling was a bit of a problem when i was working on a Connie cutaway a few years ago, and was almost ready to give up and put it in the secondary hull. i theorized that the eng. section might be on a split level (not level with deck 6 proper, but not far down to be flush with deck 7, therefore still being officially part of 'deck 6' (possibly called deck 6 because the eng. floor was accessible from deck 6 and not deck 7.) some helping facts for this theory:
* the connecting dorsal would allow the deck 7 to be sunken a little and have proper deck height (even though most of deck sevn in the saucer is machinery and no full deck height, except for around the rim. the rest of the saucer underside curves up ever so slightly, cutting off the headroom
* there is a raised up portion (the bar that goes back towards the impulse engines on the outer hull) this could explain how there is even an 'overhead' observation room looking down on engineering (seen in mirror mirror and lights of zetar, as i recall)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we want to get really silly about this, you can also make a convincing argument that Engineering is one deck below the bridge.

Remember the scene in "Court-Martial" when they block out everyone's heartbeat on the ship and prove that Finney is still alive? Kirk has Spock localize the heartbeat, and he says, "B Deck....in or near Engineering." Unless Starfleet has a bass-ackwards way of identifying its decks, that would place the engine room on the second-highest deck of the ship!

I realize this is ludicrous as far as being a logical arrangement of ship functions, but it does indicate that the people working on TOS had no real grasp of the layout of the ship (by design or ignorance, take your pick).

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they could have meant 'b-deck' as referring to the second level up or down in the stardrive hull (since that was obviousy intended to be the bowels of the ship).. ive heard that notation a few times before in TOS said 'engineering deck 2' or something like that.. referring to the machinery located in the lower secondary hull

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as we're contesting the definitions, let's note that Mara's "the sixth deck" is Klingon terminology, not Starfleet. For all we know, she was referring to deck 16 of a 21-deck vessel, and counting from the bottom in the classic Klingon tradition. The other references would be by Starfleet personnel and would refer to the orderly Starfleet numbering system.

And "B deck" could be part of a sentence fragment: "...be deck in or near engineering". Spock wasn't above muttering barely grammatical half-lines. Or then the ship's bees are raised in or near engineering because they like the warmth.

Finally, about half of the references to "deck two" were in all likelihood references to "deck Q" in the Shane Johnson system, and the lousy soundtrack just doesn't reproduce the consonants perfectly. [Razz]

Timo Saloniemi

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

Sorry, Timo, but that's the exact quote from the episode. The way he's speaking, it's clearly a reference to B Deck, silly as that location might be for the engine room. I haven't been on this forum that long; did we ever have a thread talking about really stupid design features of the E-nil? [Smile]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if Klingons number their decks differently... Spock says that the Klingons have taken deck 6 and the forward section of deck 7. (And from 7 down was blocked by the entity).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps