Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » S.S. Beagle & her technology

Author Topic: S.S. Beagle & her technology
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Bread and Circuses", the starship Enterprise scans the wreckage of the S.S. Beagle , a class 4 survey ship. In the wreckage, the scanners locate antimatter nacelles.

I have read opinions on the engineering of the original series. Could this bit of trivia help us to understand the nature of engineering in Kirk's era?

Further, the crew of the destroyed ship were attempting to locate iridium deposits. Apparently, they believed that iridium could help their ship. So, what is iridium and how it could be used in a spaceship?

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iridium, apparently when paired with either platinum or osmium, it is an extremely strong alloy. And apparently, the "antimatter nacelles" are the antimatter containment pods.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iridium occurs rarely in Earth's makeup. Traces of extraterrestrial iridium in one layer of the crust's strata give scientists evidence to the theory that an extraterrestrial object struck the Earth and caused a massive cataclysm millions of years ago, since the only place such a large amount of iridium could originate would be off planet.

892-IV is a duplicate of Earth with historical differences, so it is likely that iridium is rare there too.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the Beagle was looking for a downed network of communications satellites?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why do you say that?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps he is a former Motorola shareholder.
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get it! I get it! Ha Ha Ha....

---
Now, prehaps the ship in question was an old converted Akiraprise?

(ducks and runs)

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another note on (pre-)TOS tech, the unnamed J class from "The Menagerie" had baffle-plates, which ruptured and caused Captain Pike ending up in a chair that can go beep.

All this aside, Trip gave a pretty TNGTM-like explanation in "Cold Front".

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Antares had baffle plates, too. When they went away, the ship went blooie.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O'brien mentioned something about the baffle plates on the Santa Maria in that one DS9 ep, too, didn't he? ("Paradise", I think it was...)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps