Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Runabout=craft or ship? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Runabout=craft or ship?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats an interesting question, because the DS9 TM implies that DS9 didnt have a lot of its tech 'assigned' to it and delivered, since it was a surprise when Cardies pulled out of Bajor, so a lot of equipment was 'borrowed' from ships.. i.e. those were not sent there especially for DS9, but were the Enterprise's and transferred there. If this is true it would indicate that a) either those 3 were the Enterprise's sole runabouts or b) those 3 were all the Enterprise could spare and keep some that it required for itself (i.e. the Enterprise had 4, and kept one because they absolutely needed it. By this logic they could have kept 2 or 3 too, but thats all speculation.

The DS9 TM also said that the Starfleet Corps of Engineers installed escape pods that were liberated from older starships being scrapped

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember reading somewhere (possibly in the DS9:TM or The Making of DS9) that the runabouts were designed around the size of the station's landing pads and bays. Now, what I don't remember is whether Starfleet designed them around those size requirements or the designers of the show designed them that way. I doubt Starfleet would've designed a whole series of ships just to fit a Cardassian station design. Besides, to be delivered on such short notice, they would've already had to have been designed, tested and constructed. It's not like DS9 got the prototype or anything.

Borrowing things from Starfleet ships in the area seems to make sense. O'Brien and the Enterprise had been there for a couple of days at least IIRC. There could've been other ships dropping personnel and supplies for days.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saying "runabout-class vessel" doesn't mean he didn't kow the name of the class. It's like saying "frigate-class vessel" or "explorer-class vessel". Esxcept that, in this case, it's more specific, since the Danubes are probably the only runabouts they have.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek writers are notorious for getting the words "Class" and "Type" mixed up.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, such as the Class 2/Type-9 class thing on Voyager. Anyway, I read that part of DS9 recieving salvages components from destroyed starships or starships being decommissioned such as the escape pods or the sonic showers. But I doubt that the runabouts were nearing their operational lifespan when they arrived on DS9. So either the runabouts were A) assigned on the Enterprise-D and transfered to DS9 B) being transfered by the Galaxy Class Enterprise from being salvaged by a destroyed or decommissioned starship C) being sent to DS9 because a Starfleet facillity could spare the new Federation outpost a few.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think option "C" is the most likely.

This my be opening another can of worms but...is the "Speedboat" shuttle craft actually a type 9 or a type 12? given that neither was mention in dialog or okudagram AFAIK and that the bloke who designed it says its a type 12...this is also stated in the fact files.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason Sisko would have said runabout was because that's what they were almost certainly called behind the scenes, and what they would largely be referred to on the show. He could have said "Danub-class runabouts", but since they were already introducing a new idea to the audience, maybe they didn't want to tell too much at once.

(Which compares interestingly with "Encounter at Farpoint" and it's insistence on says "Galaxy-class ship" at least once every 15 seconds. And, on the flip side, we have the Defiant, where the class wasn't said for 4 years.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Defiant was a prototype. I believe, that for a time, it had an NX registry. The Defiant class was concieved after Wolf 359 in 2366, as a starship class designed specifically to fight the Borg. In my opinion, it performed splendidly during the Borg incursion of 2373, because the Defiant supposedly fought the cube all the way to Earth from the Typhon sector. And plus, Star Fleet probably gave DS9 the Defiant right out of the shop because it't right in front of the Dominion's doorway, and is only a few days from the Klingons and Romulans, and a few hours from the Cardassians.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Star Fleet probably gave DS9 the Defiant right out of the shop
but it lost most of its resale value when they drove it off the lot.. they couldve gotten a good trade in if they hadnt kept dinging the fenders there. good thing they had insurance, or theyd have never gotten a fresh new one....

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What?

Anyway, from the Ent-D blueprints, it certainly seems that a Galaxy class could carry more than 3 or 4 runabouts.

Here's a question: What is the point of the Ent-E's captain's yacht? It seems nothing more than a glorified shuttle/Insurrection scout ship. It seems too small compared to the E-D's yacht to perform its purpose of "diplomatic and executive" functions.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to think it's mostly for "away team office" purposes that these big ships carry these medium ships under their chins. A "yacht" is typically big enough to serve as local accommodation or lab space for an away team, and the "yachts" of the Galaxy and the Nova seem to be optimized for planetary use only (lacking warp nacelles etc).

So when a big ship wants to leave behind an away team for an extended period and give it some autonomy, the yacht comes in handy. On the E-D, its role would probably be that of a deployable Federation Consulate. On a Nova, it would be a nifty survey base for a planetary research team. And on the E-E and Intrepid, the engineers might have added badass warp engines just because they *could*, without actually thinking the mission profile through.

Shuttles would be utility "A to B" vessels for short to medium ranges, while runabouts would be Swiss army knives for various stations and bases. The yachts wouldn't compete on those roles.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Danubes were brand spanking new when they were delivered to DS9. O'Brien said in "Paradise" that the first ones were commissioned about "2 years ago." That would put their introduction into service at about 6 months prior to "Emissary". So, there's no way they would've been approaching the end of their service lifetimes.

As for the Captain's Yacht...Picard would've been better off taking a shuttle or a runabout on his little voyage, especially if he thought there was a possibility of getting into a brawl. My guess is that he took the yacht to form the pretense that hisd defiance of orders was some sort fo Captain's holiday or something. Either that, or he realized that the fans had been dying to see a captain's yacht drop off the bottom of an Enterprise for about 10 years and it might be a good time to show it.... Nah...that couldn't be it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Ace:
...from the Ent-D blueprints, it certainly seems that a Galaxy class could carry more than 3 or 4 runabouts.

Carrying is one thing, support and maintain is another matter entirly.

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
As for the Captain's Yacht...Picard would've been better off taking a shuttle or a runabout on his little voyage, especially if he thought there was a possibility of getting into a brawl. My guess is that he took the yacht to form the pretense that hisd defiance of orders was some sort fo Captain's holiday or something. Either that, or he realized that the fans had been dying to see a captain's yacht drop off the bottom of an Enterprise for about 10 years and it might be a good time to show it.... Nah...that couldn't be it.

I figured that he used the Yacht because it is bigger than a standard shuttle, has a longer range, greater cargo capacity, presumably tougher sheilds and weapons. Plus the fact that its about the only new ship in that movie that they bothered to name ;-)
I don't think some of you realise just how big the Captain's Yacht really is.

Personally I like to think that the new shuttle was called Galileo, thats what it said on the design sketch...besides, its tradition!

Now that I think about it, didn't someone say that Okuda named the Federation Scout Talon-Class?

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I think it was Talon Class in a game or something.

I have to disagree with your assessment of the Yacht's weapons and shields. I'm not sure why the Yacht would be so heavily equiped. Isn't it mostly to be used for the Captain's private excursions? I mean, sure it would have some armament, but that big shuttle Picard and Worf used to go after the Scoutship seemed pretty tough. If they have a Danube on board, that would be even better.

The Yacht did have a name though...I'll give you that [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're both wrong on the class name but Aban Rune is correct that it was featured in a game. The game was Star Trek: Armada and the class name is Venture.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps