Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 92 Jupiter Outposts

Author Topic: 92 Jupiter Outposts
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To split it up a bit more, I think a new thread was appropriate...

I think that it is quite possible for there to have been 92 Jupiter Outposts throughout the history of Jupiter Outposts. At the same time, I think that not all those outposts would orbit Jupiter... most would be within Jupiter's orbit path and/or orbital shell [the different being
2-D and 3-D].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there still could be 94 Jupiter outposts. It's a big planet.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that makes since, J. We know there's got to be some sort of weapons platforms/outposts in the orbital path of Mars since they called it the "Mars Defense Perimeter" in "Best of Both Worlds." Wouldn't make much sense to have the defenses just hanging around Mars since Mars and Earth get pretty far away from each other.

Jupiter Outpost 92 could be the defense/monitoring outpost that was along the path the Borg took into the system. And, as flimsy evidence as this is, we never saw the cube go past Jupiter (only Saturn. It didn't even go by Mars, actually).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did so. We see the three little ships launch from (or at least go by) Mars before they get exploded. The odd part is that when the cube subsequently goes by the "camera" which pans to follow them, you don't see Mars at all...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mars saw the ships get trashed and then ran away.

Much like one of my favorite Onion articles from 'Our Dumb Century'

'Hitler Advances, Belgium Hides'

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Our Dumb Century" is quite possibly the funniest satire book of the past century. HOLY SH*T! MAN WALKS ON F*CKING MOON!

Here's a pic of the defence ships, and Mars in the background:

http://titan.spaceports.com/~nzcabac/Federation/Other/MarsDefensePerimeter03.htm

In my ideal epsiode, I wanted the Borg to dispatch the pesky lil' buggers, then as it swung past Mars, the planet would emerge from behind the cube with a large hole where its main city used to be... [Smile]

Mark

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though Mars didn't emerge, pockmarked or not, it does seem that the planet was simply behind the Cube in the flyby scene. Probably intentionally so, to make things easier for the effects wizards.

I guess "Jupiter Outposts" could be part of the Jupiter Defence Perimeter, that is, the gigantic sphere of sensor buoys and phaser platforms circling the Sun at the distance of Jupiter. Similarly, the Mars Defence Perimeter would consist of Mars Outposts, none of which would be on or near Mars but instead positioned elsewhere around the Sun at the distance of Mars. Only a central control station would be situated on or near the namesake planet.

There might also be a Saturn Defence Perimeter, to account for the fact that the Cube saw it fit to fly past Saturn (and at an odd direction, judging by the lighting). The Cube would have battled/analyzed each of these Perimeters in order to learn more (and to secure the rear for the final assault), and would thus have flown to the namesake planets to disable the nerve centers there.

Saturn Defence Perimeter is optional, though - after all, a Jupiter Outpost made the first observation, and one would assume the outermost stations would be the first to notice something amiss.

Timo Saloniemi

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you know, I missed that planet...

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we should start a thread on "how to properly defend Sol".

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol is his own defense. He's got that mighty nightstick to wield.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In my ideal epsiode, I wanted the Borg to dispatch the pesky lil' buggers, then as it swung past Mars, the planet would emerge from behind the cube with a large hole where its main city used to be...
[Eek!]

*GASP* How could you!?

Oh yeah, and what's the main city on Earth? More than one? Yeah, Mars too.

Hmmm...does anybody have Red Shift? We could calculate when the planets will next be in that alignment, and use that as a basis for pegging exactly when in the future Star Trek is.

There is absolutely no evidence the Jupiter Outposts are numbered chronologically. Everything already stated are good explanations, but I'd just like to point out there are many instances in real life where things that might seem to be so, aren't in fact. There are approximately 140 AFROTC detachments in the USA at various universities. I belong to Detachment 157. Who knows. If you take off on Runway 13, that does not mean there are 13 runways at that particular airport. It means that that specific runway faces 130 degrees from north.

Really, if you're going to be talking about approximately 100 outposts in the same breath, the most logical place for them is the asteroid belt.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps